Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All in favor of Dumping Helton after the season???

skinsfanno9

As plenty of people are aware, I've wanted to get rid of Helton since July 2002. The problem is, I'm not sure how this can happen with Spurrier still head coach. (I am *not* campaigning against Spurrier.)

Spurrier and Helton are longtime friends. If Marty stuck up for Jimmy Raye, I'm sure Spurrier will stick up for Helton -- and for the wrong reasons. It's frustrating beyond belief that Helton can undermine so much effort and investment by so many people: Dan Snyder and all the millions he's spent, Cerrato and the great offseason acquisitions, Ramsey and his quick development ... hell, the entire team and the fans. But because it just happens that Helton and Spurrier are longtime friends, Snyder probably can't get Spurrier to fire Helton without this becoming some sort of bogus "principle" about Spurrier having the right to hire and fire his own staff. That's bogus in this case, because the only reason Helton kept his job after last year is because of his personal friendship with Spurrier. He was just as screamingly incompetent then as now; but Spurrier hasn't been objective enough to see that.

I hear a lot of people suggest that Helton be fired after the season. I'd fire him right now. My biggest dread is that some personnel changes will be made (putting Fiore back at LG and Friedman at center, which I've recommended), and these changes will edge the OL back to competence and take the heat off Helton. People will say, "Oh, the OL has gotten better," because we'll give up just three sacks a game and three penalties a game. And Helton keeps his job.

People will forget that this line should be *dominant*. Everyone here is starting to sharply downgrade their assessment of our talent, saying that Samuels and Jansen are overrated and so on. Bullsh!t. These players have played well below their ability at times this year and last, but I firmly believe it's due to scheme and coaching. We *do* have three blue chips on the line (including Randy Thomas), and three blue chips at tackle and RG should virtually ensure a *dominant* OL as long as the coaching isn't shockingly poor.

We're not shooting for competence. We're shooting for dominance from this unit. As long as Helton stays with the Redskins, this unit will be a drag on the potential of the team -- shaving wins from our season, causing more hits on Ramsey, causing Ramsey to be less accurate with his throws, and so on.

Fire him now.

Toss a million in Bugel's direction to come out of retirement and take over.

the coach has the responsibility to prepare these guys to play. Helton does not have this unit ready to play (this line is a laughing stock and that is a direct reflection on the coach)

They make stupid mistakes, they make stupid penalties, they can't pass block, what the he11 do they do????? FIX IT COACH HELTON you incompretent b@stard

Archived