Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Kayak'rs out here

bpoch

I just bought a 10' sit in anger kayak. I've only been a kayak twice last year out on the Potomac up in Harpers Ferry with a friend and loved fishing out of it, so I saved up and bought one for this year.

I'm sitting here thinking maybe I should take a class to learn how to at least get back in the thing for when I do dump it. I'll mostly be using this thing in the upper Potomac and Monacocy river in Fredneck. For the most part if, I mean when, I dump it I'll most likely be in pretty shallow water unless it's a nice hole in the Potomac.

So, anybody know of any clubs/classes that I could look into. I figure somebody must teach something in a swimming pool.

I was walking around Great Falls Park (and Riverbend park) on the VA side this past Saturday. The water was high, and lots of kayakers were out. Not sea kayak, these were for whitewater, but it did look like fun.

REI has classes, and they have a Lear to Kayak class next month in VA. (Pohick Bay Regional Park) Kind of far from you perhaps, but not that far. You can call and see whether the class would teach you kayaking techniques you could use.

http://www.rei.com/class/5668/market/120#gearList

I bought a 12' Mainstream (SIK) for fishing back in 2008. Rigged it up with a fish finder and everything. I've never flipped, and I've taken it out to the channel in the Bay during the fall schooling of rockfish. One of my favorite life-time events has been when I was a mile out in the bay early in the morning, smack-dab in the middle of a school of rock chasing bait fish. Sun was coming up, no wind, no other boats (at least for the first 10 minutes of fishing), and the bait & rockfish were bouncing off my kayak, they were feeding so aggressively.

Not familiar with where you'll be using it, is it an extremely strong current? You mention you'll be in shallow water, is it a depth you can stand up in? If so that makes getting back in pretty easy. Buy a manual hand pump, a paddle float (to make an outrigger and allow kayak stabilization) make sure you always wear a PFD no matter how hot, kayak with others as much as possible (or file a float plan w/ friend/family), and waterproof your cell phone. Oh and if in open water, keep an eye on water temps to avoid hypothermia, unless buying a dry suit.

PF

Thanks for all the info guys.

PF - that sounds like it would have been an amazing experience

The area I'm fishing does not have very strong current. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but thought I'd look into some basic self rescue techniques.

Potomac Paddlesports over in Rockville does trips/instruction (mostly whitewater and sea kayaking). Like PF said, paddle float, hand pump, pfd (or pdf if you're my wife :ols:) are a must. You can also get a stirrup or if you don't keep much on your back deck you can just cowboy up there (pull the boat under you as you jump/straddle the back deck).

Archived