Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Not Knowing Starting QB

CapnRedskins

And of course, even if Grossman "looks" better than Beck, his QBR is lower. With Beck in there, take away one interception, and you may have had a drive actually finish to win the game.

I agree with everything you said above this. While I've reached the point of cynicism and don't care much about who starts at QB (let's admit it, the results would be the same), there is absolutely merit to what you're saying. The QBR, however, is not something I put a lot of stock in. I know, I know, it's nit-picky, I just really don't like that stat personally, assuming you're talking about the ESPN brand's stat.

Mike Shanahan felt that Grossman gave the best chance for the Redskins to win. He threw some nice passes and made some decent reads. I was pleased with Hankerson's performance, having his 1st 100 yard reception game. But Shanahan was trying to deceive the Dolphins by going with Grossman over Beck, probably thinking that Miami had prepared to face Beck. But once word got out that Grossman was splitting reps with Beck in practice this past week, I'm sure the Dolphins studied for Grossman as well. You can't fault Mike Shanahan for trying.

I never said that I had a problem with Grossman starting or that he shouldn't start.

At the very least, and at the bottom of it all, Grossman has had success in this league. Maybe it's due to the team (Bears) he was on. Beck has had no such opportunity.

I just read thru some of Mike's post-game comments, and though I still feel bad for Beck, it seems that Mike has realized that with all the added up injuries, putting in a more experienced starter was the way to go. However, I don't like the idea of protecting Beck, considering he, to this date, has not had the opportunities to play w/ a SOLID team during his career. At least have him play, getting more reps w/ the team, looking toward next year. He's under contract for another year, so best see what you CAN get out of him with this depleted roster, and prep for next year. Grossman is gone after this year if they draft a QB. I would be extremely surprised to see Shanahan let Beck go, while he is under contract, and keep Grossman as a free agent.

Beck is still an unknown quantity as a result, IMO.

Call Grossman and Beck a wash, if you wish. The point is, neither (nor any Pro QB) will be successful w/ such crap surrounding them.

Archived