Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie LB Guided by Memory of Cousin, Sean Taylor

darklight1216

Rookie linebacker Anthony Leon’s journey to the Ravens and the NFL can best be described as circuitous.

From two years at Florida State to one year at the College of the Sequoias in Visalia, Calif., to two years at Arkansas, Leon has toiled diligently with the hopes of carving out a career in the NFL. He has also been guided by his relationship with the late Sean Taylor.

Leon and Taylor, the fifth overall pick of the NFL draft in 2004, were second cousins who enjoyed a close relationship. A mutual relative emailed to The Sun a screen capture of Taylor’s reaction at being selected by the Washington Redskins that year, and it shows a youthful Leon sitting behind a smiling Taylor.

“It was one of the happiest days of his life,” Leon recalled after a recent practice. “First round, fifth pick, I just remember him being real happy. That was just a blessed moment, and I was just happy to be there with him.”

Leon said he frequently talked to Taylor as he developed into a Pro Bowl safety for the Redskins. Leon said Taylor valued his role as a mentor.

“It was great being his cousin and seeing the things he did,” Leon said. “He taught me a lot. He taught me about the NFL and how it was all hard work at every level.”

Asked to elaborate on what Taylor taught him, Leon said, “He taught me about being a good person, watching the people you hang around with. He kept telling me to stay with people who have the same motives as you.”

Taylor’s death ...especially struck family members, including Leon.

“It was real hard,” he said. “I was at Florida State in 2007, and I went through a lot of pain. I left Florida State and went to junior college, and I was still down and stuff. I had to bounce back real hard, and I got another chance at the D-1 level, and I just took advantage of my opportunity.”

Leon, who – like Taylor – played safety in college, wore a t-shirt with his cousin’s face on it under his playing jersey. At Florida State, Leon wore No. 26, which was Taylor’s number at the University of Miami. At Arkansas, Leon donned No. 1, which was Taylor’s number at Gulliver Prep in Pinecrest, Fla.

Asked if he thought Taylor was watching him, Leon said, “I do – all the time. I just try to do my best. Sometimes there will be hard moments, and I just remember him saying that not everything is easy. So I just push through and think about what he would’ve done.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/08/rookie_lb_guided_by_memory_of_cousin_sean_taylor.html

Forgive me if this has been posted already.

Archived