Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 24 hours of Le Mans, truly epic race

DCsportsfan53

This sort of logic reminds me of something I witnessed on a Royal Caribbean cruise through Alaska's Inside Passage, about 10 years ago.

Aboard the 7-day cruise there were two nights of "marquee" entertainment in the ship's Grand Theatre. One night was John Davidson, long-time star of Hollywood Squares and That's Incredible plus a million spots on a million other shows in the 70s/80s, and I literally have completely forgotten the other lady's name.

To plug the John Davidson show aboard the ship, Bobby the cruise director staged a painfully scripted live interview with John himself in the ship's multi-story central atrium a few hours before the show started. It was well attended. And Bobby asked John:

"You've been a major TV star since the 1970s, well through the 1980s, and you've been called a major 'get' for any big television show during that time. What brings your electric, world-renowned presence to the
MS Vision of the Seas
ship tonight?"

John's answer should sound remarkably familiar to anyone reading this thread:

"Well Bobby, television was a great, great place to work for two decades, and I have continued to work in TV a bit here and there over the past ten years. I'm tremendously grateful for all the opportunity and success I had there. But you know what, Bobby?
This
is where it's at these days. Cruise ships. This,
right here
, is the best-kept secret in Hollywood! And to share this evening with all of you wonderful people, right here in the most intimate setting possible -- it's just glorious! Yes! This is the best environment a performer can ask for, right here aboard the
Vision of the Seas!"

Well! The assembled crowd in the atrium just went bananas for that. Ate it up.

But did I believe John Davidson, 30-year veteran of television stardom, when he said that cruise ships are where it's at? When he told all of us that this gig -- which just happened to be the one he had at the moment, the one that was paying him money to apply his trade skills in front of a receptive audience which needed to be maximized -- was the best one he'd ever had in his life?

You bet I did!

He made a decent transition to cruise ships. Again, he said cruise ship theater is the best form of live entertainment out there. And he also said it's the most intimate. I'll take his word over any of you guys'.

[...]

Yeah. Sometimes it pays to stop and ask yourself why a famous, quite possibly overrated person might be claiming that his current paycheck coincides with the most spectacular, stupendous embodiment of his trade that has ever been conceived.

How does the V8 community view Marcus Ambrose foray into NASCAR?

LS runs Grand Am and a Le Mans round, so it sounds perfectly fine for V8SC's. As the engines are (relatively) low revving / high torque V8's, I much prefer to see them race at a track with elevation changes rather than a 'flat' track.

This is what I mean: Mt. Panorama, Bathurst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSBRfufQe90&feature=related

This is what can happen when it all goes wrong.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 12:34 AM ----------

Here's a little something for everyone.

Aussie, my main problem with both NASCAR and the V8 supercars is that they are all pretty much the same car and not production based at all. F1, too, for that matter. To me that's one of the great things about ALMS, BTCC, DTM, JGTC, Le Mans race, ect. Outside of the prototypes these are truly production based cars. The BMWs are actually 3 series chassis, the corvettes are actually vettes, they use different sizes and types of engines. What's the fun in everyone slapping a slightly different body on the same tube chassis with basically identical engines? Even in the prototype class at Le Mans (and ALMS and other endurance racing series) it's not a homogulated chassis and engine setup, they're all different and developed in house by the manufacturers. Yes there are rules and restrictions to keep competitive balance but they're each their own cars.

Edit: well that and the whole circle track thing for NASCAR. I will never understand the appeal of going in circles for hours. A true road course is infinitely more compelling to me.

The current V8's are based on a production vehicle. You can walk in to any dealership and buy a car that looks like the race car (as long as it is a Ford or Holden). We have a saying here - win on Sunday, sell on Monday. The COTF (Cars Of The Future) will be exactly how NASCAR is now - everyone runs the same chassis and running gear, just the engines and body shells are as per manufacturer. That is why the likes of Toyota, Mitsubishi and others are all waiting for the COTF to be finalised. They can then run in the series without having to have an actual street car available.

Archived