Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would a complete shutdown be the death of the NFL as we know it?

88Comrade2000

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/shutdown-option-confirmed/

The rumor of course is that a complete shutdown is an option for the NFL owners should they lose the appellate decision.

Would a complete shutdown be the death of the NFL as we know it?

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 03:06 PM ----------

I would say yes. I take a complete shutdown meaning the NFL basically goes completely out of business. If that happens, then I don't see the NFL coming back as we know it.

You have a smaller league made up with only big markets starting up again. Frankly, as I have said before, I wouldn't mind a slight contraction. Get rid of some of these small market owners who can't compete. Either move them to a big city where they can or just fold them.

I think you need to clarify "as we know it". Even if there is a new labor agreement its possible football "as we know it" will be gone. 18 game seasons, rookie caps, etc are going to change the game.

I don't think a shutdown will permanently change too much. There are too many franchises with too much history for them to give up on football completely. Eventually the NFL will restart and closely resemble its current structure. There may a couple of teams/markets that won't survive the transition, but I think the NFL will still aim to have 32 teams. Anything less starts to get into the uneven division sizes again, which many teams were not fans of.

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around your premise. "Completely out of business," as in, every franchise folds, sells their assets and the league office closes and all the employees are laid off? Its hard to imagine the circumstances that would lead to that hypothetical.

But I don't think there's any question that the NFL is doing damage to itself right now, and missing games, let alone a whole season would be devastating to its value and economic power. My argument before the CBA even expired was that there are too many entertainment choices out there for the NFL to go away and then come back and expect to have 100% of their audience just waiting to tune in. The diehards, like me and you and the real fantasy geeks will be there, but a lot of kids and women and casual fans that the NFL has worked so hard to appeal to will just play video games or watch movies streaming to their TVs instantly instead.

We really won't see the extent of the damage until the TV contract negotiations come around again. But I think the current model of revenues for the NFL is going to stop working at some point in the future. The current labor problems have the potential to accelerate our arrival at that point.

ehh I dont like the idea. Even though that it is a 'possibility' I have a strong feeling that it will simply stay that way and never become a reality. Its business that needs to be dealt with accordingly and I am sure both sides will finally agree to something and make it work.

To much money at stake. 9 billion dollars.

That being said, I am getting tired of all the drama surrounding the NFL right now. It is slowly killing my love of the game. I still care enough to come here to read and post, but if this keeps dragging out and affects the regular season, I am not sure that I will still care enough.

Archived