Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

more media slander

bcl05

This sounds totally baseless. Would be trouble if its not...

On ESPN.com

------------

Saturday, September 6, 2003

ESPN.com news services

Safety Lawyer Milloy, who signed with the Buffalo Bills this week, told SI.com that Washington made him an offer before he was released by the New England Patriots -- a claim the Redskins denied.

Milloy said his agent, Carl Poston, "called some teams to see who would want me" before he was cut Tuesday, and added: "The Redskins gave us a bigger offer than the Patriots."

That would be a violation of the NFL's tampering rules, which prevents a player or his agent from contacting other teams while still under contract

Redskins spokesman Karl Swanson on Saturday called the report "absurd."

"The first contact we had was from our owner to (New England owner) Bob Kraft once we heard Milloy was released," Swanson said. "The next contact was the offer we filed.

"We heard about it on the (waiver) wire like everyone else."

Redskins director of player personnel Vinny Cerrato told SI.com that "Carl called us after he [Milloy] got cut. Carl did not call me before that. ... All I can say is from our end, I never talked to Carl about it until after Lawyer was released."

Calls from the AP to Poston's office in Houston on Saturday were not returned. The Web site reported that an NFL spokesman would not comment on whether the league will investigate.

Milloy, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, signed a four-year contract with Buffalo worth $15 million, including a $5 million bonus and a $2 million salary for this season.

For salary cap reasons, the Patriots wanted Milloy to take a cut from $4.4 million to $2.5 million. When negotiations broke down, he was released.

Buffalo coach Gregg Williams said Milloy's status for Sunday will be a gametime decision.

On Thursday, Poston said there were 14 teams that showed interest and "10 made viable offers. He didn't list Washington among the five teams when asked who were the finalists for Milloy's services.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Archived