Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Loss of a truly great man/coach/mentor

rdsknbill

My boy plays golf at LVC and I had the pleasure of meeting his coach more than a few occasions. He knew that I coached at the HS level and we engaged in many conversation regarding coaching philosophies and parents. :ols: .

I don't think that I have met a man of similar character and compassion in my life. His genuine care and concern for everything LVC was simply amazing. 60 years at one school? WOW!

God rest your soul Coach Lou. The world is truly a lesser place without you

Lou Sorrentino '54, one of the legendary names in Lebanon Valley College athletics as a student-athlete, coach, and athletic director with nearly 60 years of involvement with the College, has died after a brief illness. He was 78.

A service celebrating his life will be held at noon on Tuesday, November 23 at St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church (125 S. Spruce Street, Annville, PA 17003) immediately followed by a reception at the same location.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church, or to the Athletics Department of Lebanon Valley College. (Checks made payable to “Lebanon Valley College” may be sent directly to the Advancement Office with memo “Lou Sorrentino—Athletics.”) Condolences may be sent to the Sorrentinos at 211 E. Locust Street Annville, PA 17003.

Sorrentino is survived by his wife of 56 years, Rosie Hollinger Sorrentino '54, and children Michael, Linda, and Jay, who is LVC's long-time equipment manager.

"We are all terribly saddened by the death of Lou Sorrentino. It is an irreparable loss to the Lebanon Valley College community," said President Stephen MacDonald. "Lou was a rock of this community. He spent almost sixty years here. He was arguably the most talented athlete this College ever produced. But he was much more than that. After his playing days in football and basketball and baseball were over, he stayed here for the rest of his life as coach and athletic director, as teacher and friend and counselor to generations of LVC students who trusted and loved this good man. We won't see the likes of him again."

A member of the LVC, Central Pennsylvania, and Pennsylvania athletic halls of fame, Sorrentino began his involvement with LVC athletics nearly 60 years ago, first as a star three-sport student-athlete, then as athletic director and coach for four different sports. As coach and athletic director, he mentored thousands of student-athletes and fellow coaches. Today, the College gives the Lou Sorrentino Outstanding Athlete award annually to its top male performer.

"Lebanon Valley College has lost one of its true legends," said Director of Athletics Rick Beard '90 M'92. "It is difficult to come up with the words to fully describe the total impact of Lou's years of loyal service to Lebanon Valley College Athletics. It is truly impressive when you think about the number of individuals - be it fellow coaches, administrators or student athletes - he has touched over the years. We will all miss him very much."

A native of Sharon Hill, Pa. in Delaware County, Sorrentino came to the College as a freshman in 1950, and earned 12 varsity letters while starring all four years in basketball, football and baseball. In football, he was named first team All-State and second team Little All-America, and later had his #21 jersey retired (one of just six football numbers retired). He played in the Blue-Grey Senior All-Star game in Alabama, earning game MVP honors at quarterback. In basketball, Sorrentino was a starter on the legendary "Seven Dwarfs" team that played in the NCAA Tournament and upset Fordham to advance to the Sweet Sixteen.

Following his senior season, Sorrentino served in the Army's 101st Airborne at Fort Meade, Md., for two years. After being discharged, he signed a baseball contract with the Baltimore Orioles and a football contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, but left the pros to accept the football head coaching position at Shamokin Area High School. After earning his master's degree from Bucknell University in 1961, he was named head coach at Woodrow Wilson High School in Bucks County. In 1971 he returned to LVC as its head football coach.

Sorrentino remained as LVC's football coach from 1971 to 1985, impacting thousands of student-athletes in that time and becoming LVC's all-time leader in wins at 47 games. In 1972, he held the unusual distinction of being one of the nation's few three-sport coaches, leading LVC's football, men's basketball, and baseball programs. Upon adding basketball to his football and baseball responsibilities, then-president Frederick Sample said Sorrentino was chosen because he felt he "wanted as many as possible of Lebanon Valley College athletes to work with him."

He found immediate success with men's basketball, winning a MAC Championship in his first season and continuing to coach them until 1975. He also led the re-introduction of baseball to campus in 1973, coaching the program for two seasons.

"Coach Sorrentino taught us the basic principle that loyalty is a two-way street," remembered Greg Hessinger '87, who played football under Sorrentino. "He believed in us, convinced us to believe in ourselves, and earned loyalty and love from players for a lifetime. He is irreplaceable."

Sorrentino had served as Lebanon Valley's golf coach for the past 22 seasons, beginning during his tenure as athletic director and continuing through his retirement. He produced multiple NCAA qualifiers including the program's first-ever Commonwealth Conference individual titlist, Ryan Ogurcak '05.

Current golf team captain Matt Snyder '11 recalled Sorrentino's influence on him and his teammates.

"Personally he's had a giant impact on my life, and I know he's touched the lives of everyone that played golf for him," Snyder said. "He was way more than a coach to us - he was like a grandfather to all of us. He taught us life lessons that we will never forget, and he loved us all and we loved him back equally."

Sorrentino became director of athletics in 1981 and served until his retirement in 2000, presiding over one of the most successful eras of LVC athletics that included the 1994 NCAA Division III men's basketball national championship.

"Coach Lou knew more about people and players than anyone I ever met," said Pat Flannery, who coached the men's basketball team to the 1994 championship while Sorrentino was athletic director. "I will miss him greatly."

Archived