Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fanhouse:R. WIlliams says Media Need to Step Up Their Game

x96bryan10

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/09/08/ricky-williams-media-needs-to-step-up-their-game/

Ricky Williams Says Media Need to Step Up Their Game

It's become cliche for athletes to criticize the media. They're too negative, they're looking for the sensational story. They're trying to stir up trouble.

So when you hear that Ricky Williams called out the Miami media, you might think it's more of the same. But Williams' comments are well worth a closer look because he went beyond the cliche. Williams' criticism has nothing to do with the media not being on the Dolphins' side -- he's smart enough to understand that the media's job isn't to make the team look good. He even said that he's not blaming the media for writing negative stories.

What he's unhappy with is the laziness he sees from sportswriters and broadcasters.

"It's the fact they don't work as hard at what they do as we work at what we do," he told Dave Hyde of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Williams believes there is a lack of effort to understand the game. He would like to see questions that allow players to explain what they do and how they do it. He would like to see serious analysis instead of a focus on Kendall Langford's missing earring.

Claiming that many of the questions asked are "superficial," Williams said: "When I'm told what they want to talk about, I often think, 'Are you really going to write that?' "

Now some of Williams' criticisms may be true, but we are unlikely to see any changes. While Williams may view the story about the team stopping to find Langford's earring to be superficial, the reality is that there are plenty of casual fans and non-fans who will find that story interesting -- many more than those who will see the nuance of an explanation of zone-blocking vs. man-blocking schemes.

click link 4 rest ........

Are you kidding me this guy is actually going to push the fact that football fans care more about a grown man losing his earring. especially over an aritcle realating to how your teams offense actually works. I would love to see an article break down the ZBS we are going to run this year vs the power blocking scheme we used the past few. Or maybe the differences between the Holgrem WCO vs the Reid WCo vs the Shanahan WCO.

Where are all the quality articles at? Can't find 1 because 500 reporters are busy writing about haynesworth or other re-hashed topics.

It isn't just the quality of stories they choose to talk about, many journalists in high positions in the media have taken more and more liberties with the truth. I can't say how many times I've seen an article claiming to have the inside scoop on something- Haynesworth, Revis, Favre...sometimes they report on and discuss true events and are truthful if not interesting. Personally I read as little as possible about these drama situations because I know after all these years that many of them are overblown and don't really impact the game.

Still, many times this summer journalists have flat out fabricated things. They report that teams have interests in doing something or intentions one way or another, and the fact of the matter is they're just completely making something up out of thin air.

I think that years ago when these clowns had to actually publish stuff that they write in newspapers or magazines they had to take their time with an article, think things through, find the real stories. If they reported an article based on little information or hype and it appeared a week or two later in Sports Illustrated when it was obvious that they were full of **** when they wrote it, they would have been fired. Now with the internet you have every hack reporter looking to churn something out daily so that people continue to pay attention, and when you're writing 300 something articles per year, people tend to forget the ones where you predicted something with complete certainty that never actually happened.

Archived