Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For all you Doss Bashers

frankbones

I remember a thread a week or two ago about Mike Doss not starting and thank god we didn't take him. So in response to that: (BTW, I still like the Jacobs pick, he was a steal at that slot)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/08/18/bc.fbn.colts.doss.ap/index.html

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Mike Doss' job is to hit, cover and make big plays.

The Indianapolis Colts rookie is going to get a few more opportunities to do that.

Three days after making a big impression with some bone-crunching hits against Seattle, Doss took over as the Colts' starting strong safety for the first time Monday.

"It went pretty good," Doss said. "It was my first time with Idrees (Bashir). It shows me those guys have trust in me."

Until last week, Doss looked more like a work in progress.

The Colts took Doss in the second round of April's NFL draft because they liked his reputation as a big-hitter and his propensity to play on winning teams. He helped Canton McKinley win two Ohio high school state championships and led Ohio State to the national championship last season.

A late start with the Colts hurt him.

Because Ohio State's classes were still in session when the Colts held most of their spring and summer mini-camps, Doss missed all but six days of practice and the first three days of training camp in a contract dispute.

When he arrived, Doss was relegated primarily to backup duty. His rapid progression started last week.

In Wednesday's practice, he dropped an interception that could have been returned for a touchdown. The next day, Doss had perfect coverage as a wide receiver raced toward the end zone.

On Friday night, his big hits drew "oohs" from the crowd and apparently got the attention of Colts coaches.

Doss' reward came Monday.

"He's coming along," Colts coach Tony Dungy said. "He's very instinctive, has a nose for the ball and is tough."

While Dungy did not officially name Doss the starter, a change was made on the field.

David Gibson, who had practiced with the defensive starters since training camp opened July 28, sat out. In his place, Doss worked with Nick Harper and Bashir, both starters, and David Macklin, who filled in for starting cornerback Walt Harris.

Harris' practice time has been limited because of tendinitis in his knee.

Another player who has been limited in practice, wide receiver Brandon Stokley, also got a little more action Monday.

Stokley signed as an unrestricted free agent from Baltimore in March but could not practice with the team until training camp opened because of a December surgery on his right foot.

Stokley has been bothered by a bruise and soreness in the foot, but he got his most extensive work of the preseason Monday and was hopeful he would make his Colts debut next Monday night against Denver.

"It's been a long time for me," Stokley said. "I'm starting to think a little more about the reaction and emotions I'll have if I play. I'll be pretty pumped up."

Doss already is.

Following a two-hour, 20-minute practice -- one of the longer workouts Dungy has held -- Doss stayed to catch balls thrown by a machine, moving closer and closer until he was only about five yards away. He caught that one, right near his facemask.

When he finished, Doss said he did not believe he had yet clinched a starting job for the Colts' Sept. 7 season-opener at Cleveland.

"I want to bring intensity and a little bit of leadership," he said. "I want to contribute to this team."

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archived