Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Morton frustrated by special teams play

Thinking Skins

Originally posted by Flowtrain

If Morton's blocking isn't up to snuff, he'll still pull off a few great plays, but for the most part, his value to the Skins will be self-neutralized. I recognize that I'm probably stating the obvious. But it's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security just because a stud returner is lined up on the goal line. Without the dirty work and people putting hats on hats, it's like having a great stereo with sh!tty speakers.

One more member of your fan club on this on Flow... totally agree with you that our blocking has been less than desireable the past few years. I guess we can attribute some of that to Stock, but how hard is it to run down an field and stay in your lane? Or create a wedge an knock people of their ass? I think our ST players need to take it personal when they get toasted for a long return, or our returner has a 3 yard return - I'm not seeing that.

We've had some top kick and punt returners back there in the last few years and they got zero blocking. Mike Stock was HATED in Kansas City before he came here. He did fine under Marty and last year he didn't distinguish himself. I think it is a matter of the head coach taking control of the team more than the special teams coach. Our coaching staff is running scared now and the players can smell it.

Archived