Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Life of a geographically challenged fan bfore internet and DirecTV

It sucked. I thank God everyday for Sunday Ticket and the net. Before these two I got to see maybe 2-3 games per year and catch an article here and there about my beloved team. Memorabilia was impossible to come by also. I once found one of thos little trolls several years ago that had a redskins jersey on. I freaked out! I actually was able to get a Redskins something! I also had a banner and a Mark Rypien Super Bowl headlines figure. A Theisman jersey a Skins T-shirt and that was it. I'll also be forever grateful to ebay for providing me enough memorabilia, vintage and new, to fill a room!:cheers: I'm astonished at the Redskins stuff I have now compared to what was available to me 10 years ago. Thanks to these two inventions the team I love that used to be almost 1,000 miles away and more of a legend than a real thing is just a click away on the puter and on my TV every week!:cheers:

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Last fall I went nuts while studying abroad and trying to follow the game on ESPN gamecast and on this board. I knew of Pat Ramsey's game against the Titans because of a line that said "Ramsey pass for 8 yards" and Darryl Gardner's recovery against the Rams because of "Fumble- recovered by Redskins" It was HORRIBLE. At least this board, when it wasn't slow because of the Swiss ISDN lines kept me in the game some

Imagine trying to follow the 1991 Super Bowl team by watching the 10 minute ticker on NBC. That was life for me that season. That and halftime highlight show was the extent of my following the Skins. I did get to see them play Dallas and Philly on Monday night and vs the Oilers on a Sunday. The loss against Dallas also so I saw them just 4 times during the regular season in 1991.

I was born in Virginia - and lived there until 1988. For the first 18 years of my life I lived and breathed and experienced Washington Redskins football.

Then in 88, I moved to MS. Suddenly, all I had was the Saints. The few times that the Redskins would have a late afternoon game that was a national broadcast - the Saints would play the Rams or some other team on the West Coast - so they would also have a late afternoon game. Guess which one came on here...

On Wednesdays, the sports section would list the television schedule for the upcoming weekend. A couple of times, if the 'Skins were hosting an AFC team, they were scheduled to be on locally. Then come game time, it was a different game. You could not afford to get your hopes up.

Then came DirecTV and Sunday Ticket. When I first got DirecTV, they were not as careful about local channel rules, so I was able to get East/West feeds of the big four channels. The East Coast feed of ABC was out of Washington, DC. I got local news, sports, and best of all - ALL PRESEASON games - plus Renee Knott (excuse the misspelling) and his coaches show (with Norv) - which came on right before Monday Night Football. I paid an arm and a leg for the DirecTV hardware, but watching the 'Skins every Sunday was incredible. A year or two later, the ABC channel was switched to a New York feed, and then DirecTV had to cut off the network feeds after my local affiliates contested my ability to receive ABC, CBS, and NBC. (thanks local affiliates).

Now I read this messageboard, the Washington Post, the Times, you name it - I got 'Skins overload. The Redskins are on EVERY Sunday now (and Sunday Ticket has doubled in price since I first subscribed). My DirecTiVo records all the 'Skins games.

I also got tickets to see Tampa @ Washinton this year. It will be my first trip to the Fed. I've seen many a game at RFK, so I am really looking forward to seeing the new stadium.

Thanks for keeping us GC fans in the loop during preseason. This site is a godsend.

It did suck. I had to go to the public library almost every saturday and Sunday morning to read about my skins. I am thankful that they play in Washington DC market though. Most bigger libraries used to get the Sunday times. I just wish they had more sports mags back then.

When I take my daughter to the library today I marvel at all the info now. I just wish we had all this info at our fingertips during the Gibbs era. But I guess if they did I would have a closet full of stuff my wife would be trying to get rid of.:silly: :laugh:

Archived