Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adrian Murrell signs with Cowboys

jimster

Murrell Signs With Cowboys

Aug 13, 4:17 PM (ET) Email this Story

By STEPHEN HAWKINS

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Running back Adrian Murrell signed with the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday, marking his return to the NFL after missing the past two seasons.

Murrell worked out for the Cowboys in the morning, then signed a contract and took part in the team's afternoon practice.

Murrell played eight seasons, the last in 2000 for Washington when he had 20 carries for 50 yards. He played for Cowboys coach Bill Parcells in 1997 on the New York Jets, gaining 1,086 yards and scoring seven touchdowns.

Since Parcells came to Dallas, the Cowboys released NFL career rushing leader Emmitt Smith but didn't make a move to replace him, essentially turning the job over to backup Troy Hambrick. Hambrick and the rest of the offense struggled in the preseason opener.

Parcells said he had no complaints about Hambrick. He just wants to see Murrell.

"He was a 1,000-yard rusher several times, so he had good running skills, and I'm just turning over every rock," Parcells said. "I know the player well and just want to see if there is anything left. He understands, I understand. We had that discussion."

Murrell has 5,092 yards on 1,347 carries (3.8 ypg) with 23 touchdowns and 28 fumbles in 119 career games. He had three straight 1,000-yard seasons from 1996-98.

The Cowboys also are uncertain about running back Michael Wiley, who was in Birmingham, Ala., on Wednesday for a second opinion about his shoulder injury.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Murrell weighed 222 pounds, about 10 pounds over his playing weight in 2000.

Archived