Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Direct tv/internet access question

GSF

I signed up for the direct tv last week via their website. Needless to say, I'm stoked for the Skins games, but it seems I've hit 2 bumps in the road. First, a friend told me that you have to watch the same channels on both receivers with direct tv unless you pay any extra charge. No way that can be true, I hope. Second bump is that when I called my cable company to tell them to drop my cable, they informed my that my cable internet service would go up from 25 to 50 bucks a month. Ouch. I also found out that I can't get cable internet through any other providers in my neighborhood because of a deal struck between the local cable co. and the developers of my neighborhood. I'm sure it's legal, but it feels like a monopoly. I can get dial up for 10 bucks, but I'm told it is painfully slow in this area. Any insight on either issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have had directv for 2yrs now and they do charge $4.99 a month for additional receivers but that is nothing, the NFL sunday ticket is $179 so no big deal. That is nothing differant than most cable companies which charge for additional boxes. You might want to check on DSL from local providers in your area. Unless you do alot of downloading of large files it is really hard to tell the differance with Cable.

Check out DSL. If you are in the verizon area, they have a site that checks if DSL is available for your telephone number.

If that fails, dialup may be your only reasonable option ($$$ wise). Not sure if any dialup ISP's are doing multi-link PPP, but you may be able to do that to get better speed. Two modems/two lines and you bond them together to form a single pipeline.

Archived