Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can somebody please clarify Restricted Free Agents and rules with RFA;s/Draft Pick Compensation

SkinsBoss

Taken from NFL Labor.com

NFLLabor.com lists all eligible UFAs and RFAs......I'm confused about what the compensation rules are when going after RFAs.

The example the NFL front office provides is unclear......."The tenders to Smith and Smith give the Jets the right to match any contract offers and, depending on the dollar value of the tender, allow the Jets to receive draft choice compensation if another club signs them"..............see link...... http://nfllabor.com/category/faqs/

It seems like the RFA rule says current team can match contract but compensation is based off of dollar value. Can anyone clarify what that really means? If we go after RFAs does that automatically mean in every case we're forced into giving up draft picks?

If anyone can clarify please do so as I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about RFA possibilities. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can shed on this.

Tender Offer Compensation

Restricted free agents can be offered one of four types of tender offers from their existing team. Each type has a defined salary and a defined draft pick compensation if another team signs your restricted free agent. If no offers are accepted by the player he will play that year at the defined salary for his existing team. If another team signs your RFA, a team can match that offer and retain that player or accept the defined draft compensation. Below is a listing of the tender categories.

Compensation

2009 Salary

1st & 3rd Round Pick $2,792,000

1st Round Pick $2,198,000

2nd Round Pick $1,545,000

Players Original Draft Round $1,010,000

I also found this online but it seems like the "grey area" in the league rules is based off the qualifying offer................What I really want to know is if we go after an RFA does that automatically mean we're forced into giving up draft pick compensation? Anyone know the rule?

Archived