Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Careers, Certificates and Masters in Public Relations Questions

hockeysc23

So I've been debating changing careers and learning more about Public Relations.

Upon reading the book "What Color is My Parachutte" I found that I have a lot of skills that would transition well to this career (I assume from what I've read).

I have good people skills, love giving advice, presenting a good image, and am used often by my friends and coworkers for advice in handling situations and presenting to clients and customers.

I am sure there is a lot more to this field then what i know so I was wondering if anyone here works in PR? Do you work for a big firm? How did you get started?

I have a degree in Finance and have been working in government consulting but am looking into masters or certificates in this line of work.

Can anyone recommend a school. I found Georgetown has a nice program but I assume with this career prestige of university is important so I don't want to settle without knowing the full picture.

The end goal would be to work for a bigger firm and then eventually spin that off into my own company as that has always been a goal of mine. I'd love to do PR for sports teams or players but that isn't my only option or choice.

Any advice, tips or help would be greatly appreciated

Archived