Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dockery Diary-August 5th

DIESEL TROLL

Derrick Dockery Rookie Training Camp Diary, August 5

08/05/2003

The Redskins selected Texas offensive lineman Derrick Dockery in the third round (77th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. At 6-6, 347 pounds, he has the size and ability to play several positions along the offensive line, including both guard positions and right tackle. Dockery is slated to log a rookie diary throughout Training Camp 2003 for Redskins.com.

By Derrick Dockery

August 5, 2003

A lot of the veteran offensive linemen have taken me under their wing during training camp. These are a great bunch of guys and I feel fortunate to be among this group. As a unit, we’re very cohesive and that’s important as we prepare for the season. Collectively, we have all the parts. We have Pro Bowl starters, good backups, and a lot of size and bulk.

It’s not always easy being a rookie, though. After practice this morning, Jon Jansen told all the rookies on the offensive line that we had to get the veterans’ shoulder pads and bring them to the locker room. So I loaded all the pads in a golf cart and drove them up to the facility. Randy Thomas was really cool about it. He helped me load them in the cart and we drove up together. But I had to unload the shoulder pads myself and carry them to the locker room.

As a Redskin, I’m wearing uniform number “66,” and I know that used to be Joe Jacoby’s number. I feel that it’s an honor to wear his number. He’s a guy who went to so many Pro Bowls for the Redskins during the 1980s, helped establish the Hogs, and won Super Bowls.

We’re trying to re-establish the dominance of that offensive line. We want to bring the Hogs reputation back to the Washington Redskins. Even though we pass the ball a lot more in this offense, I think we can be just as dominating. We definitely have the talent.

PS: I really like this guy, I think I'd asked Joe PERSONALLY though, for his permission to wear his number.......

As a Redskin, I’m wearing uniform number “66,” and I know that used to be Joe Jacoby’s number. I feel that it’s an honor to wear his number. He’s a guy who went to so many Pro Bowls for the Redskins during the 1980s, helped establish the Hogs, and won Super Bowls.

We’re trying to re-establish the dominance of that offensive line. We want to bring the Hogs reputation back to the Washington Redskins. Even though we pass the ball a lot more in this offense, I think we can be just as dominating. We definitely have the talent.

Am I the only one that thinks that this guy really seems to have the right mindset for this franchise? He knows and respects the history, seems to be willing to earn whatever spot he can get along the line, plus the little fact that he is a beast!

:cheers:

Archived