Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unorthodox Yet Safe Cover Letter Suggestions?

Hubbs

So, I recently discovered that The Daily Show is currently sifting through applications for spring internships, and seeing as I'd be willing to pay for the chance to work there, I'll be sending in my cover letter and resume soon. At the moment, however, I'm running into a magnified version of the worry I always feel when applying for a spot at a major organization - writing a very "standard" cover letter will only allow me to blend in with an endless supply of "standard" cover letters from other folks. Normally, it seems as though there's only so much you can do about this when trying to land an entry-level job or internship at a typical business. But this is a show that makes frequent use of Cheney-related dick jokes, so I'm thinking that I might be able to go a bit further outside the box to stand out without fear of not being taken seriously.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm trying to walk a fine line, but I bet I'm not the first around here to apply for something like this, and any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Do you have references from any previous experience writing, working in TV production, fighting dragons, being incredibly funny at the expense of The Man, etc.?

The most impressive thing you could include with your resume would be a letter from someone else of high industry repute saying, "You've got to hire this guy."

Archived