Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Chris Polian becomes Colts GM

RIPSean

A lot of ESers have been hoping for Chris Polian to be brought in as a GM (not that that was ever likely to happen.)

This pretty much sticks a fork in that...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/26/chris-polian-becomes-colts-gm/

Chris Polian becomes Colts G.M.

Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2009 10:12 PM ET

Though Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian isn't retiring any time soon, his son, Chris, has taken a big step closer toward replacing his 66-year-old father once he decides to pack it in.

The Indianapolis Star reports that Chris Polian has been named the team's General Manager as part of joint contract extensions with both Polians, which will keep them with the team beyond 2012.

Chris Polian, a long-time employee of the Colts, often has been mentioned as a possible candidate for jobs in other cities, but he never has come close to leaving Indy. It now appears that he won't be leaving at any point in the near future.

"I was willing to make a financial commitment to the management side of this organization to keep Chris off the market,'' owner Jim Irsay told the Star. "Chris is going to be here and play a dominant role. I've been around Chris for a long time. Whenever Bill is ready to retire, or semi-retire, we'll move forward with Chris.''

I saw this on the NFL network earlier and was quite dissapointed. If there's one organization I'd love for us to emulate, it'd be the Colts. That ball club, along with the Steelers, keeps their teams young and energetic with constant infusions of young talent and are constantly able to let players go without hurting their teams' chances of being competitive. In addition, they both rely very heavily on the draft and very rarely use FA.

In fact, the last time I heard the Colts sign a big time FA was in 2005 when they signed Corey Simon. When that didn't work out, I distinctly remember Bill Polian talking about how that was a prime example as to why he doesn't like to utilize free agency that much.

Archived