Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rooney Rules and Mid-Season Coaching Changes

mcgraw238

Just wondering the implications of the Rooney Rule and bringing in an outside coach mid-season. Let's say we bring in one of Shanahan, Gruden, Holmgren, etc. during the season to take over, are we able to sign the coach long-term or must we bring them in under the interim tag and follow the Rooney process during an official offseason search?

I seem to recall the 49ers were not able remove the interim tag from Singletary until after the season ended per Rooney Rule requirements (even though that seems slightly confusing). So if we bring in one of the guys above, but only as the interim coach, would we be looking at a debacle as the interview process would be a sham.

Please refrain from debating the merits of the Rooney Rule in this thread as that issue has been well covered elsewhere.

Just wondering the implications of the Rooney Rule and bringing in an outside coach mid-season. Let's say we bring in one of Shanahan, Gruden, Holmgren, etc. during the season to take over, are we able to sign the coach long-term or must we bring them in under the interim tag and follow the Rooney process during an official offseason search?

I seem to recall the 49ers were not able remove the interim tag from Singletary until after the season ended per Rooney Rule requirements (even though that seems slightly confusing). So if we bring in one of the guys above, but only as the interim coach, would we be looking at a debacle as the interview process would be a sham.

Please refrain from debating the merits of the Rooney Rule in this thread as that issue has been well covered elsewhere.

I don't see a coaching change in the middle of the year with a big name coach like that. I can see Zorn being let go and someone on the staff taking over for the year.

Outside an absurd amount of money what coach would want to come in midseason? They would be destined to fail and would have no chance to install their offense, build a staff, or make personell decisions. If we fire Zorn Bugel should take over as he at least has HC experience and wait to the offseason for an official hire. If we're switching coaches we probably aren't in the playoffs so we don't have to worry about anyone beating us to the punch.

Outside an absurd amount of money what coach would want to come in midseason? They would be destined to fail and would have no chance to install their offense, build a staff, or make personell decisions. If we fire Zorn Bugel should take over as he at least has HC experience and wait to the offseason for an official hire. If we're switching coaches we probably aren't in the playoffs so we don't have to worry about anyone beating us to the punch.

I agree with your points. Just throwing out the issues if it were to happen. I've learned never to underestimate Synder's power to pursuade.

I doubt a high profile coach, or any smart coach would take a job mid-season that wasn't already on the staff. It's a lose-lose situation.

Probably true. However, I have no doubt that Snyder is exploring all options. I wouldn't bet against Snyder pulling it off; He's HOF at selling.

You could bring on someone like Holmgren as GM midseason and then see if he decides to return as GM/HC next season, couldn't you? I mean, I'm not saying that will happen but it might be a way around the rule. Would also allow Zorn to finish out the season (and allow Snyder to look less impulsive) with a more experienced presence (and one of Zorn's mentors) around as an "advisor" for the rest of the year. And the fans would be happy (for awhile) if it meant seeing Vinny go.

Archived