Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seeking intranet software suggestions

Baculus

Does anyone have any suggestions for intranet software? Something like Sharepoint or Bitrix? I have researched this field for quite a while (looking at various groupware and intranet software) without any satisfying results, so I was thinking that perhaps someone here could provide some solutions.

Ideally, I am seeking something which provides for WebDAV, AD and Outlook integration, SEO, with a few different available social networking modules, just as a few basics.

Well, Sharepoint is sometimes a bit on the slow side and the users do not care for the UI. Plus, though I know the administration relatively well, my boss, who is a Mac guy, doesn't care for the back-end.

Here is another issue -- we have a lot of documents on shared directories, and Sharepoint cannot mount these drives directly from the root. As you know, it stores all of its data in a MSSQL database, which is not ideal for our enterprise. (Most of our remote users use VPN to remotely access data.) I tried to use the IIS WebDAV, but for some unknown reason I kept having to reconfigure it, so I gave up on that usage.

Ideally I wanted a system that was a one-stop depository for the users, as far as webmail/Outlook integration, document sharing, discussion areas, etc.

Bitrix is probably the closest thing available for what I seek at this time.

I think Sharepoint has some nice elements and has all the modules we need, but I have to think about other admins and our users, many of whom are easily annoyed by anything computer related.

Archived