Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaches Don't Put the Pads On

Chiefinonhaze

I've always felt that coaches get too much praise when teams win, and too much hate when teams lose. Honestly, playcalling isn't as important at many of you think.

For example, people are hating on Zorn for running the ball a lot. Well, it's up to the players to execute the plays. If we're on the 8 yard line, two good runs should get us in.

Coaches don't play in the game. There is only so much they can do. They call the play, and the players have to execute it. I believe execution is our problem.

Another example...lets say were in the 8 yard line, and we see something on film that suggests a team likes to play cover 4 and drop their guys back in this territory. It doesn't take a genius to realize passing might not be the best idea in this scenario.

A good O-line and RB should be able to execute enough to get 4-5 yards when a team drops back like this. This is why those fake pass-draws always worked for us in the past. You get the D to think pass and drop back, and you give it to the RB and he has a lane.

I agree that the 3rd down pass by Portis was a bad call, and it should have been called on 1st down. But other than that, I have no problem with the playcalling. Players need to execute the play, no matter what it is.

Coaches get paid to make players better, and put them in positions to best utilize their talents and succeed on the field.

I'm not convinced the majority of our coaches are very good at doing that.

There's only so much a coach can do. There is a scheme, and a player must execute it. A coach can't make a player work hard in the offseason and get better, the player must make that dedication. And to all the Campbell haters out there, how can you hate on Campbell and at the same time Hate on Zorn. Zorn didn't handpick Campbell, he inherited him.

Archived