Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walterfootball.com Rams @ Redskins Preview

Oldskool

http://walterfootball.com/nflpicks2009_02early.php

St. Louis Rams (0-1) at Washington Redskins (0-1)

Line: Redskins by 10. Total: 37.

Walt's Projected Line (Before Week 1): Redskins -9.

Walt's Projected Line (After Week 1): Redskins -11.

Sunday, 1:00 ET

The Game. Edge: Redskins.

NFL Injuries: AFC Injuries | NFC Injuries

I was misinformed. ESPN hired Herm, but I thought he'd be on Sunday NFL Countdown. Instead, ESPN only used him on the new crappy NFL Primetime. I wasn't prepared to record any of Herm's quotes, but I managed to write down this gem:

"Tony Gonzalez is like 7-11! He never closes! Uh... Uh... I mean he's always open! He's always open!"

ST. LOUIS OFFENSE: In my most recent 2010 NFL Mock Draft update, I mentioned that the only way Marc Bulger would be back in St. Louis next year is if he had a really good season. Bulger's cap number will be high in 2010, so the Rams would actually save cap space by cutting him.

Yeah, going 17-of-36 for 191 yards and a fumble is not exactly what I had in mind.

Bulger is terrible and needs to be put out to pasture. Of course, he doesn't have much help behind an awful offensive line. If you're a Redskins fan, it's hard not to get excited thinking about how many sacks Albert Haynesworth and the rest of the defensive front will generate this Sunday.

To keep this close, Steve Spagnuolo needs to give the ball to Steven Jackson more often. Jackson rushed only 16 times Sunday, but I can understand that because Seattle jumped out to a big lead by halftime. But why did Jackson fail to catch a single pass? Why did Jackson have only 16 touches out of 57 plays? It defies common logic.

WASHINGTON OFFENSE: Let me just state the obvious - Clinton Portis is going to have a big game against a Rams defense that couldn't prohibit Julius Jones from eclipsing the 100-yard barrier.

Portis will set up play-action opportunities for Jason Campbell. Campbell had problems last week with constant pressure in his face, but the Rams don't know how to sack the quarterback. Chris Long didn't even start Sunday. I don't know what's going on there.

Campbell should have a solid game, but it's very apparent that the coaching staff just doesn't trust him. Against the Giants, Jim Zorn took the ball out of Campbell's hands on a few key situations. Hopefully Campbell can build up his confidence here against the pathetic Rams.

RECAP: The Redskins have the talent to demolish the Rams. However, I just don't trust Campbell and the Washington offense enough to cover 10 points (Campbell is 1-4 ATS as a favorite of 6.5 or more). The Redskins are a decent team, but they're not nearly as good as the Seahawks are at Qwest Field.

SURVIVOR PICK: Last week, we had tons of great options like the Ravens, Seahawks, Patriots, Chargers and Cowboys. This week, it's pretty much the Vikings and Redskins. I'll never take a road team in a divisional matchup, so I'm left with Washington. Hopefully the Redskins remember that the Rams beat them at home last year and don't show up flat again.

The Psychology. Edge: None.

No psychological edge found.

The Vegas. Edge: Rams.

No surprise that the public is fading the pathetic Rams.

# Percentage of money on Washington: 75% (8,000 bets)

The Trends. Edge: None.

# Road Warrior: Road teams after a road loss are 132-85 ATS since 1996 (Rams 1-4 ATS since 2006)

# Rams are 19-37 ATS in road games since 2001.

# Rams are 11-24 ATS on grass since 2001.

# Redskins are 4-9 ATS in September home games since 2001.

# Jason Campbell is 1-4 ATS as a favorite of 6.5 or more.

# Opening Line: Redskins -9.5.

# Opening Total: 37.

# Weather: .

# For more trends, check out the Gaming Matchups or the Expanded NFL Analysis.

Week 2 NFL Pick: Redskins 20, Rams 14

Rams +10 (1 Unit)

Under 37 (.5 Units)

Survivor Pick (1-0)

Archived