Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MLB Trade Deadline Thread (Ends at 4pm EST)

MattFancy

I don't get why we traded Kotchman for Laroche. Kotchman hasn't even made an error all year. He's hit pretty well of late. And neither really hits for much power. Adam's 32 HR in '06 was an abberation. Kotchman hits for a better average. Better fielder. Can someone explain this move to me? Only thing I can think of is that maybe Adam will come cheaper. If so, that's not a good enough reason.

Btw, don't really get the Hairston thing either.

Frank Wren is banking on LaRoche's trend of being a second half player and providing some very much needed power from first base. I was starting to come around on Kotchman but his singles hitting swing and warning track power weren't doing much for us. LaRoche has hit atleast 20 homers the past few seasons and I'll take some more power for lower average. I agree it's a downgrade on defense but I think it's kind of over-rated for a first baseman and it's not like LaRoche is a liability he is pretty solid as well.

Frank Wren is banking on LaRoche's trend of being a second half player and providing some very much needed power from first base. I was starting to come around on Kotchman but his singles hitting swing and warning track power weren't doing much for us. LaRoche has hit atleast 20 homers the past few seasons and I'll take some more power for lower average. I agree it's a downgrade on defense but I think it's kind of over-rated for a first baseman and it's not like LaRoche is a liability he is pretty solid as well.

I think you are underestimating the defense he provided. The man made no errors. Over the course of a season, that's invaluable. No telling how many runs he saved us with his glove.

As for the power thing. I don't think LaRoche really provides any more power. I know he's hit more home runs. But Casey had hit about 4 or 5 this month. And I'll take a .282 average (or whatever it is) over .248, any day.

I think Chipper probably had a lot to do with this. He and Adam are best friends. They own property in Oklahoma. I would be willing to bet he had a hand in this move. He wasn't too thrilled when they traded Adam. There may be nothing to what I just said. But you never know.

I just don't get the move. If you're not upgrading your club, why make a move. They must have gotten Adam for alot cheaper than they would have had to eventually pay Casey.

Archived