Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Red Zone 2009 Fixed?

The Waterboy

O-line; D-line; WR, QB, .... okay so all these are questions that were addressed in one way or another in the draft, FA, etc. for better or worst.

The one thing that actually killed the Skins in 2008 was the inability to punch in from the last 20 yards, often settling for 3 points.

My question is what has been done to fix the most glaring (and consistent) problem the Skins have face over the last several years... yeah the rack up yards running up and down the field.. but if they don't score from outside the 20, then they most likely settle for a field goal.

Is 2009 going to be different? If so, what is going to be the difference maker? Scheme? Personnel? OC? WCCO? Why?

I don't seen any difference with the upcoming 2009 version. Tell me why 2009 will be differnt in the Red Zone and we won't be facing another 8-8 season.

Hopefully the redzone will be less of a problem because we will utalize more than Moss and Randl el down there. Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas will contribute. Besides, Cooley had an anomale of a year with only a few TD's. That should improve. Having more plays to pick from should also increase the chance of scoring.

All in all it is quite possible the same thing will happen but the coaches and the team know that was the problem and have had a year to come up with a solution. Jason Campbell mentioned scoring on less plays and getting TD's instead of settling for field goals in numerous interviews. Time will tell though.

Assuming the protection holds up under fire, Campbell should have more options in the red vs. previous years with teams knowing to double Cooley and Moss. Zorn will need to call the correct play to create mismatches but at least they have the personnel to do so. Couldn't say that in previous years.

My question is what has been done to fix the most glaring (and consistent) problem the Skins have face over the last several years... yeah the rack up yards running up and down the field.. but if they don't score from outside the 20, then they most likely settle for a field goal.

PLAYCALLING-

Zorn and the other coaches have a years worth of film of the Redskin's running his offense.

They'll be able to look back and cherry pick the plays that worked and use those concepts to create a more effective RZ package.

The Redshirts

Kelly and Malcolm could become RZ weapons.

They both have the size and strength and Kelly is supposed to have great ball skills.

The fade route could finally become part of the RZ playbook.

Zorn has been raving about Fred Davis and said that Davis will be on the field often this year.

Improved OL + Zorn wakes up!

An improved OL means that Cooley will stay in to block less often.

Zorn realizes that Cooley is a BEAST.

Personally i think Cooley should NEVER block on passing downs.

More effective rotation at RB

Portis and Betts carries will be more explosive.

Archived