Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX5/Ciolumbia Flier: 2,000 jam job fair in Clarksville (this is getting crazy)

heyholetsgogrant

2,000 jam job fair in Clarksville

Traffic snarled, many turned away

By Mike Santa Rita

msantarita@patuxent.com

Posted 5/15/09

More than 2,000 people crowded into the Ten Oaks Ballroom in Clarksville Friday for a job fair, an unexpectedly large crowd that snarled area traffic, made parking difficult and angered those turned away when the fair ended.

A line had already formed at 7:30 a.m. outside the ballroom, located near the intersection of routes 32 and 108, although the fair did not open until 10 a.m., said Francine Trout, administrator of the Howard County Office of Workforce Development. Her office organized the fair, in conjunction with the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Development.

The fair focused on federal government-related jobs, including contracting and jobs related to the expansion of Fort Meade under the Base Closure and Realignment Commission.

The crowd was the largest at a local job fair in recent memory, Trout said.

“We had 1,500 handouts and we ran out,” she said.

People interviewed in line came from as far away as Pittsburgh and Chapel Hill, N.C.. Several said they had recently lost their jobs, blaming the sagging economy.

Source: Columbia Flier

Full Article Click Here:

http://www.explorehoward.com/news/62148/2000-jam-job-fair-clarksville/

Applicants Overwhelm

Howard Co. Job Fair

Updated: Friday, 15 May 2009, 6:36 PM EDT

Published : Friday, 15 May 2009, 6:12 PM EDT

CLARKSVILLE, Md. - Traffic in the vicinity of Clarksville, Maryland was gridlocked for hours in the middle of the day, Friday. It wasn't an accident. It was a job fair.

Thousands of applicants tried to crowd into a rented ballroom for a job fair organized by the Columbia Workforce Center. About two dozen federal agencies (and companies that have federal contracts) had set up booths. Recruiters were stunned by the size of the turnout.

Ian Grayson, an electrical engineer and IT manager, spent much of the day trying to get into the job fair. "I left for the event at 9:45 a.m.," said Grayson, "And I didn't get here until about 12:00, based off the traffic, alone."

Source: FOX 5

Full Article and Video of the traffic jam and job fair Click Here:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/maryland/051509_applicants_overwhelm_job_fair

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm only posting this, because I tired going and traffic failed getting there. There was a 2 mile back up on 32 west :doh: . I would have been late to my current crappy retail job if I had stayed in traffic. I am not sure if some of you have been out to Clarksville, its mostly farm land and million dollar homes, hardly the area that sees a lick of traffic. People coming from Pittsburgh and North Carolina, this is getting crazy :doh: ... The fox link has a video of the traffic jam and job fair.

Archived