Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Van Gundy to decide Rockets or Wiz?

jbooma

Abe has offered the Pat Riley deal to Van Gundy :) It looks like the only thing he has to decide if he wants to move his family. The Wiz might actually win this. I think Gundy would be a great fit here since he was outed in NY for the wrong reasons.

Five-year, $25 million deal waiting in Washington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

Jeff Van Gundy is expected to decide Monday whether to accept a contract to coach the Houston Rockets or the Washington Wizards.

Van Gundy spent two days in Houston meeting with Rockets officials and looking at schools and houses with his wife. But he left town without accepting the Rockets' offer.

The Wizards have a five-year deal worth approximately $25 million on the table for Van Gundy to accept. According to ESPN sources, the former Knicks coach would not have the general manager's title in Washington, but would have significant say in personnel.

"If money was the issue, we would be talking about money," Rockets general counsel Michael Goldberg told the Houston Chronicle. "I asked if there was anything more (general manager Carroll Dawson) or I could do, and they said absolutely not. He (Van Gundy's agent, Jim Ornstein) said he just wanted to take the weekend to think about it."

Before leaving Houston on Friday, Van Gundy told television station KRIV: "Both sides have to see if it's the right fit. You don't want to rush anything like that. So when the time comes it'll come on its own pace."

Van Gundy said Rockets officials made him and his wife Kim feel at home in Houston.

"It was very nice. Houston is a beautiful city and the Rockets are a great organization. I had a great time," he said.

Van Gundy met with Rockets officials on Thursday and is owner Les Alexander's top choice to replace Rudy Tomjanovich, the longtime Rockets coach who stepped down on May 23.

The Rockets told their other primary candidate, Mike Dunleavy, that they will not make any other moves with potential candidates until Van Gundy makes his decision.

My initial reaction is pretty positive, but what has Van Gundy accomplished?

I realize the Knicks weren't the most talented team and I thought he over-achieved with them. But is he the sort of guy you hand over total control to? Is he worth the bucks?

If he chooses working with the Wizards over rising stars like Francis and Yao, you've gotta wonder if the guy's got a screw or two loose.

TennesseeCarl, I think there are a few issues at play that would make Van Gundy to choose the Wiz over the Rockets....mainly money and control. I agree that coaching Yao and Francis is enticing, but the Wiz job would offer him personnel control, and considering the fact that the Wiz have cap room, it is likely that Van Gundy could retool the team via free agency. The Huston job wouldn't offer him the same kinda control, plus I heard that the Wiz job includes some ownership stake and will pay much more.

As far as trusting Van Gundy to do the job, i don't know. I think at this point that their are few coaches/GM's that the wiz can turn to and are as well respected, and atleast signing him would bring some type of respect back to the team.

FORGET ABOUT VAN GUNDY...

Van Gundy accepts Rockets' offer

Posted: Monday June 09, 2003 11:53 AM

HOUSTON (AP) -- Former New York Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy has accepted an offer to become the Rockets' next coach, a Houston television station reported Monday.

NBA sources told KRIV that Van Gundy called the Rockets Monday morning and said he will be their next coach pending successful contract negotiations, which are already under way.

The Rockets are looking at a four- to five-year contract for Van Gundy, who spent two days in Houston last week, touring team facilities and the city.

The deal to hire Van Gundy also will depend on whether the Rockets can agree to give the Knicks some form of compensation for hiring their former coach. Van Gundy is still under contract with New York through July 31.

The former Knicks coach also had been considering the head coaching job of the Washington Wizards.

i think he's a fine coach who was somewhat sabotaged by his front office in NY. he made the right and logical decision even though it would have been great to have him coach the wiz. he has got a 7'5 center and Stevie Franchise. that's a pretty good start for a guy who can get a lot out of players less talented.

Archived