Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dixie Chicks still in country radio doghouse

Guest Matt Kyriacou

yeah i was shocked that there were tix still available for the MSG show. my sister just got two for a show on the 20th of June-- only two weeks away. of course they were sold out of the two cheaper tix and she had to spend $90 each-- not that she minded.

they also had the third highest grossing concert of the year, after the Eagles (and DC tix were cheaper)

http://www.billboard-online.com/bb/charts/boxscore.jsp

they have the number five album on the country charts, that has sold six million copies so far.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/country.jsp

must really blow to be hated nation-wide... i wish i could be so lucky. i would buy everyone a beer.

Guest Matt Kyriacou
Originally posted by codeorama

I agree that it's costing them something... instead of selling 75% more records than their next closest country act, it's only around 60% more.. boy, I wish I could suffer like that...:rolleyes:

As I have stated before, many times over, they are country music's flavor of the month. The fact that they have shortened their 15 minutes of fame pleases me immensely.

Write me back and let me know how their next tour goes, because I'm quite certain that it will not be front page news.

I'm not a country music fan, but my wife is and the Chix are by far her favorite as well as the favorite of her friends. They could care less what they said or what there political opinion is. I know for some it does matter, but they will still be making tons of money.

If my favorite band came out and said they love Bush, I wouldn't care, I'm smart enought to understand the concept of everyone having their own thoughts and opinions. If we all thought the same, what a sucky place this would be...

Guest Matt Kyriacou

I'm smart enought to understand the concept of everyone having their own thoughts and opinions.

As am I.

My intial post stated that it is costing them. Your spin proved my point that the left will try to spin it in some way.

Isn't everything a spin?

The right wants to point out that if you say something negative about bush, it will cost you big time....

The left wants to point out that they are still way ahead in sales to their closest competition....

Everything in live depends on your point of view.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

The left wants to point out that they are still way ahead in sales to their closest competition....

If that is the case, then the left may want to get their facts straight as well.

http://www.cmt.com/news/display/1459355.jhtml

Country Record Sales Increase in Last Week of 2002

Edward Morris

01/03/2003

The last week of 2002 was a profitable one for country music, but it did not appreciably help overall record sales. (Sales through Dec. 22 were chronicled last week by CMT.com.)

Final year-end album sales reported by Nielsen Soundscan show that country album purchases were up by 12.2 percent over those of last year. Album sales as a whole for the year, however, dropped by 8.7 percent. Sales via the Internet increased for 2002, moving up from 16,684,665 units to 18,079,765. Total CD album sales for 2002, including both current and catalog titles, amounted to 649.5 million. The 2001 total was 712 million.

This year, country albums sold a total of 76,905,000 copies, compared to last year’s 68,489,000. Sales dipped for all other types of music, specifically alternative, classical, jazz, Latin, metal, rhythm & blues, rap, Christian/gospel, soundtrack and new age.

This year’s best-selling album is Eminem’s Eminem Show which sold 7,607,925 copies. It was followed by Nelly’s Nellyville (4,916,073); Avril Lavigne’s Let Go (4,121,396); the Dixie Chicks’ Home (3,690,413); the soundrack to 8 Mile (3,498,497); Pink’s Missundaztood (3,144,947); Ashanti’s Ashanti (3,099,216); Alan Jackson’s Drive (3,054,736); Shania Twain’s Up! (2,909,499); and the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2,736,049). It should be noted that some of these album have been available all year, while others came out relatively late in the year.

Twain’s Come on Over continues to be the best-selling album of the “Soundscan Era,” which runs from 1991 to date. It has sold 14,506,614 copies. The other nine of the Top 10 are Alanis Morisette’s Jagged Little Pill (14,089,742); Metallica’s Metallica (13,344,217); Backstreet Boys’ Millennium (12,032,414); the soundtrack to Bodyguard (11,715,408); Santana’s Supernatural (11,176,209); Creed’s Human Clay (11,095,743); ‘N Sync’s No Strings Attached (11,028,340); Celine Dion’s Falling Into You (10,530,424); and Britney Spears’ Baby One More Time (10,420,844).

Guest Matt Kyriacou

I'm an independant... by that I have left ideas and right ideas.. just look up gun control or welfare and my right side pops up.

Well, I apologize for the label then. Those issues are much more near and dear to me than the bimbos and certainly worthy of much greater discussion.

Originally posted by Matt Kyriacou

Well, I apologize then as those issues are much more near and dear to me than the bimbos.

No proplem.. I learned a long time ago not to take anything personal on the boards..

I agree with your sentiment that the Chix in the grand scheme of things are pretty low priority...:laugh:

Shania doesn't even really sing... does she??

Every time I have seen her live (only because my wife wants to watch her) on tv, she has been lip synching... it never fails that the mic will be away from her mouth yet the words are still loud and clear.:laugh:

Guest Matt Kyriacou

Shania doesn't even really sing... does she??

Not sure. My eyes rarely make their way to her lips.

:D

Archived