Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prove a point for me: Responsibilities for RDE vs LDE

Siven

I don't think this is really a stadium worthy thread because it doesn't really deal with the Redskins, not is it ATNFL cause it doesn't deal with a league issue.

My point is.... generally the RDE who lines up against the offenses OLT has more pass-rushing responsbility then the LDE, who lines up against the ORT, who has more of a run stopping responsibility

my roommate begs to differ and says that it's not true.

thoughts?

I still need more, my roommate won't stop arguing from his point. He says that they both have the same responsibilities as far as stopping the run and rushing the passer because the Tight end could line up next to the OLT and that would make it the strong side and the side the offense would run to, therefore the RDE would have just as much run stopping responsibility as the LDE.

this is technically true, but it's not what I am arguing.

I still need more, my roommate won't stop arguing from his point. He says that they both have the same responsibilities as far as stopping the run and rushing the passer because the Tight end could line up next to the OLT and that would make it the strong side and the side the offense would run to, therefore the RDE would have just as much run stopping responsibility as the LDE.

this is technically true, but it's not what I am arguing.

You're right that it's technically true, but it also technically doesn't happen very often. Why? The answer is actually very rudimentary - most quarterbacks, like most people in general, are right-handed. Therefore, they have an easier time throwing to the right side of the field than to the left. The tight end is obviously an important part of a passing game, so it makes sense to usually line him up on the right side of the quarterback. And because no team wants to tip its hand as to when its offense will be throwing as opposed to when it will be running, the tight end is gonna line up on the right side for most running plays, too.

Archived