Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive Line help from NFLE

With the NFLE season rapidly coming to a close some talent has emerged with the potential to bolster our defensive line. Our own Mike Cecere has a creditable sack total playing the DE spot at 4.5 sacks. Several others could easily be brought into camp this year, as they are not allocated to an NFL team and would not have a roster impact. Neither, Jonathan Brown (DE) or Bastian Lano (DT) are the property of an NFL team.

SACKS

B.Lano, Rhe (Nat) 6.5

J.Brown, Ams 5.5

M.Cecere, Ams (WASH) 4.5

Bastian Lano nicknamed the “Beast” has obviously recovered from an ACL injury that kept him on the Rein Fire IR in 2002. He has twice been named the National Defensive player of the week this year. With our potential need at DT this year, he could be worth a look during camp.

2 Minute Warning: BASTIAN LANO

February 24, 2003

NFL Europe

Bastian Lano hopes to return from an injury that kept him sidelined for the 2002 season. photo: NFL Europe

Name: Bastian Lano

Position: Defensive Line

Height: 6-6

Weight: 290

Birthdate: November 29, 1976

Birthplace: Germany

City where you live: Aschaffenbugh, Germany

Other Football Experience: Rothenburg Knights 1996-97, 2000; Aschaffenbugh Stallions 1998-99

Honors/Championships won in Football: World Bowl (Rhein Fire) 2000, League Championship with Aschaffenbugh in 1998

NFLEL experience: Member of the Rhein Fire since 2000

Hobbies: Lifting weights, playing PC-games, Driving on the Autobahn

Off-season Work/Activities: Preparing for next season

Most memorable game: 2000 World Bowl Rhein vs. Scotland

Biggest disappointment in football: Injury in 2002 (ACL)

Biggest thrill in football: Tackling from behind of a ball carrier who's supposed to be fast thean a 290 pound lineman

Favorite other sport: Formula 1 racing, Bobsleigh, Biathlon, all kinds of car racing

Ambitions after football: Studying

Interesting facts: One of my brothers teaches at a German University and got a doctorate in Physics from University of Iowa.

He might be worth a look in training camp - have him compete with Del Cowsette for the final DT spot on the roster.

Although, simply dominating NFLEL wouldn't fill anyone with confidence, seeing as though it is such a step down from the level of competition in the NFL.

Nice post, Tommy! Lano has great size and 6.5 sacks out of the DT position is impressive in any league. I agree with you that, with nothing to lose, the Skins should take a look. I assume Cecere will be in camp. It looks like he did a nice job in Europe and the staff should be pleased with his effort. I think you're right to think that the FO should leave no stone unturned in their quest to improve the team.

Cecere didn't play this week due to injury, although I don't know the extent of the injury. He may not have played last week either, or was hurt early in the game. What I have seen of him I've liked, great hustle to the ball carrier and a motor which gets him to the QB on almost every play for hurries and pressure. He'll certainly be in camp, but I believe he'll have to beat out Scott and B. Jackson for a roster spot. Del Cowsette will make the club as a backup DT..... and I've liked what I've seen from him when he's made the rotation.

Archived