Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need Some Help from ES's Geek Squad

Hubbs

So, I run a website called The Melting Pot Project (Shameless plug: It's the most entertaining political site on the Internets!), and something with my traffic stats has gotten really out of whack. The site is built on the Typepad platform, so I have access to Typepad's traffic tracker. But the domain is registered through GoDaddy, so I have access to their stats, too.

Early on, they pretty much lined up - slight differences, but that's to be expected with two different measurement systems. Lately, though, the differences have been getting huge. Typepad's telling me that MPP's gotten a few thousand pageviews in the past week. GoDaddy's telling me that the site is on pace for over 100,000 pageviews in the month of March. While I'd love the latter to be true, I think it's more likely the screwup is on that end of things, but I absolutely can't figure out what's causing the difference. Does anyone know what might be going on?

My guess is that GoDaddy is tracking it by total page views and that typepad may be counting it by IP address, meaning that it only displays one page count per IP and not per visit. Just a hunch though.

I thought that too, but that's not it. I have enough data to rule it out.

NM. Also Godaddy could be showing crawlers (search engine bots that go through your site to check for certain content). Could be that Typepad doesn't recognize crawlers (as it shouldn't), where as Godaddy is.

No, GoDaddy's got a specific category for bots. They're not even 500 of the nearly 50,000 pageviews GoDaddy's telling me I have for March.

(By the way, big round of applause for your sig.)

Archived