Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we ditch the Gibbs/Bugel run game in 2009?

CPAllTheWay012

Seriously, how about a new running scheme?.

Maybe the NFL could start playing two-hand touch...? No injuries that way. We could have the biggest splits in the world, one tackle on the far sideline the other tackle on the opposite sideline, with at least 10 yards gap between each o-lineman, really "spread em out." Then we could run all day.

why? O line needs work, not the system

I agree. I'm so tired of the same old trite 2-bit explantions about schemes. Here's a scheme to master: It's 11 on 11, now go kick the snot out the guy in front of you.

Giants, smash mouth run football, NFC east champs. 2 1000 yrd plus runners this season. Simple

None of this "open em up" west coast mularkey water. Our "air" attack stalled, skided off the runway, then became engulfed in flames this year. The only thing that worked was running the ball, which we did early this year. When we actually won games.

Another great idea from the extremeskins faithful.

Let's ditch the ONLY aspect of the offense that actually worked.

:doh:

You see here's the thing though...

Our running game didn't work at all in the 2nd half of the season, and our passing game never got on track. Zorn came here to run the West Coast Offense, right? Well if you want the WCO then you need all aspects of it..

The run and the pass are supposed to work together, and I'm suggesting that they aren't working because essentially we have two different types of offense:

1. Gibbs/Bugel/Saunders (whatever you want to call it) run game

2. Zorn's Passing Game

Does that make sense? I don't believe the two are made for each other.

brother, you could have God draw up the scheme and Jesus could be the O-coordinator, but unless you got some tough, hard-nosed guys to run that thing...nothing is gonna happen. Schemes are just another false screen of illusion thrown up for fans to think that they could never understand the intricate game of football on the professional level. Generally it's the teams that execute the simple tasks, together and execute them often enough, they are the ones that win. The Giants this year for example. Run the ball well, because they have a good o-line. They stop the run well because the have a good d-line.

The simplistic of all football philosophies is "11 on 11" You know its coming, we know its coming, see if you can stop us. Although I do concede that 'philosophy' is far too simplistic, it rings true more often than not.

What is the difference between one guy, 6'3, 295, from LSU vs another 6'3, 300, from Florida, besides five pounds? Thats the real question of scouting and then coaching. To be able to bring the best out of your guys, the most heart, the effort...when the physical attributes are fairly even.

Archived