Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dog Park....

codeorama

This is in my city and is so cool.. I can't wait to sign both of my kids up...

All dogs do go to heaven at Buckroe Beach dog park

By Elena Gaona

Daily Press

Published May 2, 2003

HAMPTON -- Not just any old mutt can get into the town's newest hot spot.

When Hampton's dog park opens Saturday, only healthy, well-behaved and socially-aware dogs will be able to enter and roam free.

Dog owners will be asked to bring proof of vaccinations and a dog tag from whatever city they live in to join the park at Buckroe Beach.

Beyond that, the beach park will be a place of inclusion, where German shepherds get friendly with the poodles, Dobermans frolic with the Labs and setters race with the terriers.

The dog park is the first on the Peninsula, said Cyndi Masterstaff, a Hampton parks coordinator.

From sunrise to sunset, every breed will get to run around a three-quarter acre of grassy utopia by the beach. There will be games, too. The dogs can teeter totter on wooden play equipment or climb and slide down a wood mountain. Later, crawl-through toys will be added, said Hampton senior park manager Donn Leavenworth.

Owners can lounge around benches or under tree-shaded areas, and the idea is they will socialize as much as the dogs one day and form a stronger community, Leavenworth said.

But make no mistake, this park is for the canines.

Doggie fountains will refresh them and the city might sell dog treats some day, officials said. There will be Frisbees and tennis balls for play. And plenty of open space for the many apartment-bound and leash-accustomed furry friends to run.

Fighting will not be tolerated. Feisty pups will be asked to leave, though they can return later.

"They could just be having a bad day," Leavenworth said.

But if they make a habit of acting up, they could get banned from paradise forever, he said.

"Their membership will be ended."

Norfolk has about 11 dog parks and Virginia Beach has two, said Leavenworth. Hampton plans to open a second dog park at Sandy Bottom Nature Park later this summer.

The park opens tomorrow at 11 a.m. The fee to join is $10 per year for the first dog and $5 for each additional dog. An opening-day celebration sponsored by the Hampton Parks and Recreation department will include prizes for the best-dressed dogs, including awards for best beach attire.

For more information, call 757-727-8314.

I had never heard of anything like it.. Buckroe Beach has not allowed pets for a long time, so this is really cool. My younger one will love it because he loves other dogs. My older one thinks he's too good to play with a dog...:laugh:

At least my tax dollars are finally going towards something I will enjoy

We do have one open dog park here and it's nice because there's a big creek that the dogs can swin in. My dog is from the pound and has a real wierd attitude about other dogs. I just let his fat *** cool off in the creek. He doesn't play with the other dogs, he just kinda does his own thing. I agree it's tax money well spent

Ya, we have an open dog park that's about 2 acres here in town. There's also a few beaches that are for dogs in the area. For the most part, dogs arent alowed on the public beaches, but the enforcment is almost nonexistant.

Sounds like a real nice set up Code....enjoy

:cheers:

Archived