Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New tv show on a new Arab satelite network: "The Wacky Iraqi info minister"

infominister.jpg"They are trapped in Umm Qasr. They are trapped near Basra. They are trapped near Nasiriyah. They are trapped near Najaf. They are trapped everywhere."

TV OFFERS BAGHDAD BOB A JOB

Wed Apr 30, 4:05 AM ET Add Entertainment - PageSix.com Gossip/Celeb to My Yahoo!

By DON KAPLAN

AN Arab TV network wants to make Baghdad Bob it's next star - if he's alive.

The new Dubai-based al-Arabiya satellite channel is trying to reach Mohammad Saeed Al-Sahhaf, the former Iraqi information minister whose daily press briefings during the Iraq (news - web sites) war were highlighted by exaggerated statements and outright lies.

Al-Sahhaf, who has not been seen since shortly before Baghdad fell to U.S. forces last month, could be back on TV with one phone call to Ali al-Hadethi, the supervisor of al-Arabiya TV.

"We want to benefit from the experience of Mr. Al-Sahhaf and his analysis of the current situation and the future of Iraq," Hadethi told Reuters. Al-Sahhaf became a cult figure with his daily briefings as he flatly denied what viewers worldwide saw unfolding live on TV.

His multitude of colorful statements - including: "God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis" and "Our initial assessment is that they will all die" - earned him the nicknames Baghdad Bob and Comical Ali.

Al-Sahaf.alsahaf.jpg"Today I have visited whole Baghdad city, no invaders found. You go and see how we have ousted them from this city. They are crying outside and waiting to receive bullets. They will be killed shortly."

Hadethi said that Al-Sahhaf was probably forced to by the Iraqi regime to lie on international television and wants to give him a chance to tell the truth.

"He was a member of the former regime and had to say what the government wanted. He was repeating what was being given to him without being able to verify the truth," Hadethi said.

07-minister.jpg"Lying is forbidden in Iraq. President Saddam Hussein will tolerate nothing but truthfulness as he is a man of great honor and integrity. Everyone is encouraged to speak freely of the truths evidenced in their eyes and hearts. [Furthermore, anyone who doesn't speak the truth will be beheaded.]"

Shortly after he disappeared, unverified reports surfaced that Al-Sahhaf had hung himself.

But more recent reports out of Iraq say Al-Sahhaf tried to surrender to U.S. forces this week, but was turned down because he was not on their most wanted deck of 55 playing cards, according to a London-based Arab newspaper.

Yesterday, United States Navy Lieutenant Commander Charles Owens at Central Command in Qatar dismissed the reports.

"If someone connected with the regime offered to turn themselves in, we would take them into custody," Owens told The Post.

infominister_snub.jpg "John Gielgud should play me in my made for tv movie. He may be dead but he is a great actor like myself."

No TV for him just yet, he's been hired to be a motivational speaker for the Bungles. "They are not in the redzone, they have not scored, they have forfeited! We get Super Bowl trophy treasures and harem of cheerleaders! Cheerleaders dig me. I am American chick magnet." :shootinth

Archived