Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WCO=short quarterback life/livelyhood

KevinthePRF

The one thing that stood out to me in this game the most and several others, is how Campbell was getting beat up. Not only on unsuccessful plays, but successful ones as well.

Then I started thinking, even Joe Montana started getting beat up early, suffering a bad back injury in 1986. He was getting beat up so much, even in winning, the 49ers promptly traded for Steve Young. And when Young took over the reigns, started getting concussions on a regular basis that would drive him out of the league despite he and his teams' effective field play. Then I think about some of the current WCO QBs, McNabb, Hassleback. They seem to be getting regularly beat up as well. And these are all QBs comfortable in the system, Campbell, and the offense is still learning which probably is leaving him presently exposed more so.

I really don't think the Oline is as old and pathetic as everyone would like to believe. And that the simple solution is getting a line full of 24 year old studs to help protect Campbell. I think it's more of the fact that the WCO by design leaves QBs exposed to getting hit on a regular basis. No wonder we drafted Colt Brennan, and it wouldn't suprise me to always have a project QB waiting in the wings for when Campbell starts going down for substantial periods of time. No matter how good a QB he will develop into.

Archived