Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier and Gibran Hamdan Quotes - Reskins.com

The truth is out there. Why pick Gibran Hamdan?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. The truth is out there. Why pick Gibran Hamdan?

• Vinny Cerrato is a moron and must be stopped.
    • I heard on talk radio that Dan Snyder made the pick as a favor to his pals in the Jewish mafia. It's part of a grand, global Zionist plan.
    • Spurrier is sick of noodle-armed Gators and wants to design an all-new RoboQB from scratch.
    • The whole front office got drunk waiting for the seventh round and turned in their joke selection card by mistake.
    • This is the secret league punishment for making the Jets and the NFL Management Council look stupid over Morton.

04/27/2003

Head Coach Steve Spurrier

“We got a local kid. Gibran Hamdan played at Indiana last year. He came to our local try-out camp we had three weeks ago. We were very impressed with Gibran. He’s a good-sized young man and throws the ball extremely well. He’s a pretty good athlete. We think he has a lot of potential. He hadn’t played a whole lot of football until the last year or two at Indiana. He looks like a pro quarterback.”

“He lives in North Potomac (MD) so he’s really excited and wanted to play for the Redskins. He’s our 3rd quarterback right now. Gibran is a player we think has lots of potential to play at that position. He’s a good learner. He accepted coaching very well. Noah Brindise and I worked with him for about two hours at try-out day. He was very eager to learn. It’s going to be fun having him out here. We’ll put him right in there with Patrick (Ramsey) and Rob (Johnson).”

“He was not invited to the combine although he went on his own just to let us know he was available. We were hoping no one would take him. When you watch him on tape, he’s impressive. If I told he could drop back and throw it like Kyle Boller, Carson Palmer and those guys you’d think I’m crazy, but come out this weekend and watch him throw. I think he’s tough and has courage. He can make decisions.”

Gibran Hamdan (QB, Indiana)

On getting the chance to play for the Redskins:

“Anytime you get picked by the team you grew up watching, it’s a great honor. For me especially it’s not only the fact that it’s the Washington Redskins, that has such a wonderful tradition, but just where the state of the organization is at right now. I came into that local work out day and I was really confident. I felt really comfortable around the coaching staff. So not only is it that I get the chance to be a Washington Redskin, but the fact that the organization is in such great hands with Mr. Snyder and Coach Spurrier. I am very fortunate.”

On the local work out day:

“Through the whole process I was thinking I was going to be a free agent after not playing that much in college. After the way I performed that day, I felt that I displayed all of the things I can do on a football field. In the back of my mind I was hoping that this would come. Obviously, this is very exciting.”

On what he brings to the team:

“I pride myself on being coachable. Going through this process a lot of people said one of my negatives was the fact that I had a lack of experience playing the game. But in a lot of respects I think that’s one of my strengths because I do take coaching well and am trying to learn as much as I can whenever I’m on the football field. I think that got across to the coaching staff in that I was taking what they were trying to teach me during the work out and adjusting it and making changes in my fundamentals. I think that’s one thing that didn’t come out on my game film.”

On following the Redskins growing up:

“As you know it’s pretty hard to go to a Redskins game because you can’t get tickets. The first game I went to was last year against the Dallas Cowboys, Darrell Green’s last game. It’s really exciting to think I’m going to be back there.”

On his favorite player growing up:

“My favorite player was Roman Gabriel, a quarterback back in the day. While I was playing my senior year at Bishop O’Connell someone had mentioned that I looked like him and played like him. So I went back and watched him play. Not many people know about him but he’s definitely one of my favorite players of all time.”

On his impressions of Coach Spurrier:

“He has all these accolades coming out of Florida and was obviously a very successful coach and he’s been known to be a great developer of quarterbacks. My impression after (the work out session) was twice as strong as I had coming in. He relates really well to all the players on the field, especially quarterbacks. I felt that, even what he had taught me in that short time on that one day, he helped so much. In fact, over the past couple weeks when I have been working out with some of my high school receivers I’ve been taking some of the things he talked about on that day and changing it to the point that, regardless of what team I ended up on, it would improve my footwork and accuracy. Coach Spurrier is someone I am definitely looking forward to working with as well as Coach Brindise. Any young quarterback who can be in the presence of someone who has been known to do great things with quarterbacks, it is such a fortunate thing.”

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11657

This may have been a good pick, although we could have gotten him as a FA. He most likely had the strongest arm of any QB available, and Spurrier is one of the best QB coaches in the league. Hamdan has good size and is coachable. It will take time, but he could eventually be a servicable backup.

You know i saw some video highlights of this guy and with his size and somewhat speed, i believe Spurrier saying he can throw just like Palmer. I personally dont think Palmer is anything special i mean look at him and think to yourself what can he do that Kitna cant, nothing.

If this guy turns out to be good........Who the hell is Bill Walsh im trying to get Spurrier to pick my teams QB.

The problem with Spurrier is that he sees some D**k off the street and is such an egalitarian that he compares him with Carson Palmer because he looks good throwing the ball. Spurrier is probably considered a "genius" because he prides himself on seeing things most people dont. He also frees himself from the normal constraints of coaching by doing a round robin on quarterbacks and such. There's probably a very good reason Carson Palmer went numero uno and this guy was undrafted. And it ain't because people didn't see him...

Archived