Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is a minor Knee Sprain?

Soup

All this talk about Minor MCL sprains and Knee sprains have me wondering are they really Minor? I've had a bone bruise and it hurt, I couldn't walk for 3 weeks in a boot. I was just wondering if anyone has some insight on these type of injuries, becuase I almost had a heart attack when I heard the samuels was out during the game.

Will it hurt him to play? Is it really a minor injury

The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is one of four ligaments that are critical to the stability of the knee joint. A ligament is made of tough fibrous material and functions to control excessive motion by limiting joint mobility. The four major stabilizing ligaments of the knee are the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments (ACL and PCL, respectively), and the medial and lateral collateral ligaments (MCL and LCL, respectively).

The medial collateral ligament spans the distance from the end of the femur (thigh bone) to the top of the tibia (shin bone) and is on the inside of the knee joint. The medial collateral ligament resists widening of the inside of the joint, or prevents "opening-up" of the knee. How is the medial collateral ligament injured?

Because the medial collateral ligament resists widening of the inside of the knee joint, the MCL is usually injured when the outside of the knee joint is struck. This action causes the outside of the knee to buckle, and the inside to widen. When the medial collateral ligament is stretched too far, it is susceptible to tearing and injury. This is the injury seen by the action of "clipping" in a football game.

I've blown out both of my ACL's and tore one of my MCL's. From my experience, a "minor knee sprain" means that the ligament was stretched, not torn. It's painful, but with rest and rehab can be overcome relatively quickly. A good tape job or a brace can keep it stabilized. Usually a "sprained knee" will mean partial tearing, which can heal over time with rest and rehab or be repaired surgically - depending on the severity of the tear.

The fact that his MCL is the problem rather than the ACL is better news, too. The ACL handles most of your knee stability and completely takes away your ability to push off, extend your knee, or cut quickly.

Archived