Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Top Tandem Cornerbacks

tiger187126

I think they don't include Smoot/Springs in the write-up for good reason; Smoot played nickel back until Carlos got hurt. So he had easier matchup in theory, against the slot/#3 receiver, for many of those attempts.

The word "tandem" technically means this should include only two players per team, but in a number of cases, injuries forced more than two players to split the starting spots. Because of this, I set the qualifying mark for this analysis at eight starts.

This did mean that in a couple of instances, a team had a nickel cornerback who started a few games at the nickel spot and a few others at one of the standard spots and accordingly ended up being listed as a starter. However, this beat the alternate method of using the attempt mark, as that would have included many more nickel backs as starters and, if the bar were set high enough, might have excluded some starters such as Nnamdi Asomugha (who had only 35 passes thrown his way).

This is from the same article

This is from the same article
:
This did mean that in a couple of instances, a team had a nickel cornerback who started a few games at the nickel spot and a few others at one of the standard spots and accordingly ended up being listed as a starter.

Right, so he admits that the system is flawed because it includes nickel starts for tandems that ALSO started 8 games together as the 1-2. Smoot fits this scenario.

:

Right, so he admits that the system is flawed because it includes nickel starts for tandems that ALSO started 8 games together as the 1-2. Smoot fits this scenario.

I'm not terribly upset that they skipped a breakdown, but there's no denying that Smoot stepped in and really produced and Springs really stepped up his game and helped us on that run.

Still when you read the article they picked the 1st, 3rd, and 4th tandems to talk about.

Then of course on the worst they picked out the big names near the bottom to lambast.

Archived