Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Turkey sees the light

Kilmer17

I just worry that they're only accepting because of our aid package deal. It really doesn't look right when we have to offer a country that borders Iraq so much, when in the end our forces will wind up protecting them.

Anyway, in the end this is more positive news than anything else. Just another shot in the liberals lame "unilateral" vision that they think this administration is taking.

So far I see these countries supporting us:

UK

Australia

Spain

Portugal

Eastern/New Europe

and now the only European/Middle Eastern country; Turkey.

Yea, those unilateral Bush ****ers. :rolleyes:

I think Turkey is a pretty good friend of ours. It will be important to have allies that are also Arab countries when all of this is over. Money well spent I believe, because it could save American lives and the money will help an Arab democracy.

Post's got the story :

Turkish Leaders to Act on U.S. Troops

The Associated Press

Monday, March 17, 2003; 3:42 PM

Turkey's top political and military leaders called on the government to take urgent action to allow in U.S. troops.

The announcement came at the end of a meeting that included the leaders of Turkey's new government, President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, and top generals.

The United States has repeatedly called on Turkey's government to quickly resubmit to parliament a resolution that would let thousands of U.S. soldiers deploy at Turkish bases. Washington had sought Ankara's approval for the deployment in order that U.S. troops could open a northern front against Saddam Hussein's forces in an Iraq war.

"Our government will make the necessary evaluation urgently," presidential spokesman Tacan Ildem said.

An official statement released after the meeting referred to an earlier meeting of Turkey's top political and military leaders that called on parliament to take steps to let in foreign troops.

"A unanimous decision was reached ... that there is a need to move urgently according to the National Security advisory taken on Jan. 31, 2003," Ildem said.

The Turkish government has delayed resubmitting a new resolution and Turkey's new prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, earlier indicated that any new vote on the deployment would be at least another week away.

© 2003 The Associated Press

Different countries have different reasons for acting as they do. Rarely do idealism or right and wrong have much to do with it. Turkey is indispensible to us for a myriad of reasons, not least of which is that they're a long-time predominantly Islamic ally in the region and allow us access to Iraq's northern border.

Archived