Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tupa

Golgo-13

I have heard severarl people say that the Redskins will have a look at Tom Tupa as our punter. However, I have yet to see this documented anywhere. Where have people been hearing this from? I personally think it would be a good idea, we get a guy who is a better than average punter, who is our kickers favorite holder AND who has played some QB. The Defense will always have to honor the possibility of a fake. I like it, I say sign him.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20030314-11338335.htm

... Thus the Redskins are back in business after a frenetic start to free agency and a relative lull in recent days. Besides Lewis, the club appears to be revisiting the position of punter, where veteran Tom Tupa is seen as a good fit, and might add depth to the defense.

Newly signed kicker John Hall already has called Tupa the punter he would most like to work with. The two spent 1999 through 2001 together as Jets.

Tupa, 37, also could provide coach Steve Spurrier with an extra weapon because of his prowess as a quarterback.

However, it should be noted that the Redskins haven't given up on incumbent Bryan Barker, even though he had a dismal 2002 season (with a league-worst 30.0-yard net average). His season ended Thanksgiving Day when he suffered an open nasal fracture. Some in Washington feel that Barker remains a capable punter who is determined to bounce back.

Because Tupa has worked with Hall recently, I think he's probably #1 on our list, as I feel he should be. Man, the Jet's are going to absolutely despise the Redskins for years to come. But, I will keep my mouth shut until I know for certain we have Coles. Something just feels really wierd about this.

I'd look for someone else if I was the Skins

I remember him more for that epic 6 yard punt and multiple snap fumbles and the awsome left handed pass to the Saints in the endzone. :doh:

It was rare for him to bounce a ball inside the 10 without someone on the coverage having to make a great play to keep the ball outside the end zone. He had a horrible playoff performance too.

I won't miss him if he goes. Wish we would have got Royals back from Miami but he re-signed with them.

If he stays I hope he gets beat out in camp.

Archived