Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

49ers charged with tampering by the Bears(uh-oh)

DirtySkin21

BEARS CHARGE NINERS WITH TAMPERING

In a rare move between the 32 business partners who usually play nice with each other, the Chicago Bears have charged the San Francisco 49ers with tampering.

According to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, the Bears claim that the Niners talked to Briggs about a possible contract without permission during the 2007 season.

Surprisingly, the Niners admit they communicated with Briggs' agent, Drew Rosenhaus. But the Niners claim that the discussions occurred only after the Niners and the Bears held preliminary trade discussions.

The irony is that the 49ers soon learned that Briggs couldn't be signed to a new contract during the 2007 season because he had not signed a long-term deal by July 15. So if San Fran tampered, they talked about something that never could have happened.

As far as the tampering rules go, however, it doesn't matter. If the 49ers didn't have permission to talk directly with Rosenhaus about Briggs, the rules were violated.

The question, in our view, is whether league rules require the use of any magic words reduced to writing to trigger official permission to permit a player to speak with another team. If there is such a requirement and if, as it appears, the i's weren't dotted and t's weren't crossed, the Niners could be the first team since the Dolphins of the early '70s to be busted for tampering.

The other issue is whether the presence of these allegations will keep the Niners and Rosenhaus from laying the foundation for a contract to be signed at 12:01 a.m. EST on February 29, a sure sign that discussions occurred in violation of the rules against tampering.

Come to think of it, the Bears have signed players to such speedy deals a time or two in the past. And that only reinforces the notion that each of the houses in the NFL's neighborhood are all windows and no walls.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I don't like him, or trust him. I wish the Redskins weren't so cozy with him.

This brings back memories of the good old days, when our GM Casserly botched the Wilbur Marshall trade, costing us a first round pick.

Dan Snyder, Drew Rosenhaus, Tom Cruise. A motley crew of men I respect and hope to one day share a beer with.

wonder if they will take the niners first round pick in the draft??? i would love (even though it wouldnt happen) if they lost their number 7 pick which would mean that the Patriots would loose that pick. I know this can not happen but would be a nice thought.

yeah you're right, cus that number 7 pick isnt their anymore, If they hadnt of traded that pick away they would have the number 7 pick but that was turned into the pats pick last year. Lucky for everyone that at least one of their picks were taken but I think it should have been their highest pick which as that one.

The 49ers actually have been the drunk sailors on the NFC block recently.

First the Jonas Jennings contract that was outrageous for a mediocre LT. Than the outsized deal for Nate Clements who is no Darrell Green or Deion Sanders at CB.

They were probably going to offer Briggs $40M with $15-17 guaranteed.

What a joke.

Glad someone else other than the Redskins seems to have a drunk in the front office.

Archived