Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post:"All Quiet On Coaching Front/Fun With The Salary Cap"

michael_33

If this was already posted,then I apologize...(I didn't see anywhere...)

All Quiet On Coaching Front/Fun With The Salary Cap

Fassel, Meeks and Mariucci have heard nothing as of this morning. No one called last night to inform them of their status, so they wait. Last I heard Snyder, Cerrato and minority owners were huddled talking things over late last night.

Lot of huddling these last four weeks. Wonder when they'll actually snap the ball?

But the endless pursuit of coaching greatness can not deter the Redskins from what they do best - play around with the salary cap. Oh, it's a magical quest really, getting down from $20 million over the cap. Converting high base salaries into new bonuses, adding years to contracts and then spreading that joy over multiple seasons.

Sexy, huh?

Anyway, for those interested in the minutia, the Redskins have reworked the contracts of 3 players thus far- Randy Thomas, Andre Carter and Antwaan Randle El, with at least a half dozen more to come. According to a source with knowledge of the situation, here's the breakdown:

Randy Thomas went from a cap figure of 8.0 million to 4.1

Andre Carter went from 4.9 to 2.8 (the team guaranteed his June 1 roster bonus of $2.4 million as part of the deal)

ARE went from 4.1 to 2.7

So the Redskins saved 7.6 mil in cap space with these moves. They're top 51 (salaries) for 2008 now stands at $132 million, $16 million over the cap, "by far the most in the NFL," according to my guy.

Now, again, don't panic. They'll trim $9 million on Chris Cooley alone and will easily end up with room to chase other free agents. They'll keep guaranteeing salary and pushing things back and extending contracts. But, I ask, as a practice, how much success - Ws and Ls, we're talking - has this strategy brought with it?

Well, regardless, the song remains the same. Restructuring season is upon us. Enjoy!

Archived