Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UPDATE:'02 Jetta question(didn't work)

BALLz

My wifes car is idleing real rough and the check engine light is blinking. I came inside and searched the problem and it seems as if it is probably the coil pack. The coil pack was recalled a couple years ago and we actually got it replaced. So my question is if it is the coil pack again will we have to pay for it this time, and about how much do you think it would cost?

Thanks for any help.

I work on air cooled VW's so I cant give you an expert opinion but I can lead you in the right direction.

anything and everything you want to ask will be answered here: its like extremeskins for VW's

http://forums.vwvortex.com/

Also, here is an article on someone who had a similar issue.

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_35471.html

Hope you find an answer in some of this...but to let you know it shouldn't cost you too much..

RSB21

I work on air cooled VW's so I cant give you an expert opinion but I can lead you in the right direction.

anything and everything you want to ask will be answered here: its like extremeskins for VW's

http://forums.vwvortex.com/

Also, here is an article on someone who had a similar issue.

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_35471.html

Hope you find an answer in some of this...but to let you know it shouldn't cost you too much..

RSB21

Much appreciated..

but I have another one for ya....

My wife is now apparently not so sure now that she actually had the part replaced. She's pretty sure she did but she does a pretty good job of keeping all the paper work on her car filed away and she can't seem to find anything documenting this being done. So, if by chance we haven't had the work done yet, do recall notices expire or should we still be able to get it done free of charge?

Yes, unfortunately most recalls do expire unless it is a safety issue(tires, seatbelt, airbags, etc...).

Also, contact the person who did the work on the car if you believe you had it replaced. They should still have record of it free of charge. If you do find the paper work, find the part number and find a recall list online to see if you current part has been recalled. If so, you are in luck and all you need to do is contact the manufacturer.

Good Luck!

My wifes car is idleing real rough and the check engine light is blinking. I came inside and searched the problem and it seems as if it is probably the coil pack. The coil pack was recalled a couple years ago and we actually got it replaced. So my question is if it is the coil pack again will we have to pay for it this time, and about how much do you think it would cost?

Thanks for any help.

How much mechanical ability do you have? If you're at least semi efficient I can help guide you through checking if it's the coil packs or not. All you'll need is a philips screw driver and a allen wrench.

The coil packs are $30. Go to the dealership order 4 and replace all 4.

Go to VWVortex.com and search the issue there will be atleast 10 DIY's on how to replace them. Follow the directions and do it. I'm going to the dealer to order the coils for my passat tomorrow.

Oh and it is your coil packs, don't even second guess it. I will bet money that it is.

The coil packs are $30. Go to the dealership order 4 and replace all 4.

Go to VWVortex.com and search the issue there will be atleast 10 DIY's on how to replace them. Follow the directions and do it. I'm going to the dealer to order the coils for my passat tomorrow.

Oh and it is your coil packs, don't even second guess it. I will bet money that it is.

Yeah, it's almost certain that's what the problem is. You'll know because when you go to take the coil packs out, the bad one will literally have come apart but you can't see that until you remove it from the cylinder head. Extremely common problem on the 1.8Ts.

How much mechanical ability do you have? If you're at least semi efficient I can help guide you through checking if it's the coil packs or not. All you'll need is a philips screw driver and a allen wrench.

Yea, I'm semi efficient. I'd have to wait till I got home from work at around 5 to do anything.

Is it easy to switch them out, or once we find out for sure thats what it is should I take it to a dealer.

Also, we are a little tight on money this pay period. You guys think I would be ok just changing the faulty one right now and doing the rest next paycheck(feb 7). I mean she needs the car so if we have to do all now than so be it, but it would be nice if we could wait a week.

Yea, I'm semi efficient. I'd have to wait till I got home from work at around 5 to do anything.

Is it easy to switch them out, or once we find out for sure thats what it is should I take it to a dealer.

Also, we are a little tight on money this pay period. You guys think I would be ok just changing the faulty one right now and doing the rest next paycheck(feb 7). I mean she needs the car so if we have to do all now than so be it, but it would be nice if we could wait a week.

That would certainly keep the car running for now but I believe the part has been updated so you'll want to replace the rest eventually.

No, you wouldn't need to take it to the dealer to have it replaced. Once you've removed them and found the faulty one, just put the new one back in it's place.

It's pretty simple, the vwvortex forums should have illustrations if you search there but all you do is take the engine cover off (which just involves giving a half turn to a few plastic phillips head screws, then lifting it off) to expose the top of the engine. There will be 4 coil packs, which are essentially new style spark plug wires. They should be held in by two 5 or 6 mm allen head bolts. Take the two bolts out, unplug the connector from the coil pack and lift the coil pack out. The coil pack simply slides over the spark plug like a spark plug wire. The bad one should have the outer insulation torn exposing the internals of the coil pack telling you which one is bad. If not, simply use the one new coil pack and replace just one and try and start the car. It'll run right when you've replaced the right one but everyone I've seen you could tell which one was bad.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember which engine codes and models they were but, I think later models didn't even have allen bolts holding the coil packs in so once you remove the engine cover and unplug the connector you can just pull it out. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure a 2002 Golf/Jetta model won't have the allen bolts.

Feel free to drop me a PM and I'll give you my cell number if you want and you can call me when you're getting ready to try it and I'll walk you through it. Definitely check out the vwvortex forums, too, as you'll find illustrated walk throughs for the procedure as it's a chronic problem that many have dealt with on the 1.8Ts. That place is an excellent resource for information. Good luck.

That would certainly keep the car running for now but I believe the part has been updated so you'll want to replace the rest eventually.

No, you wouldn't need to take it to the dealer to have it replaced. Once you've removed them and found the faulty one, just put the new one back in it's place.

It's pretty simple, the vwvortex forums should have illustrations if you search there but all you do is take the engine cover off (which just involves giving a half turn to a few plastic phillips head screws, then lifting it off) to expose the top of the engine. There will be 4 coil packs, which are essentially new style spark plug wires. They should be held in by two 5 or 6 mm allen head bolts. Take the two bolts out, unplug the connector from the coil pack and lift the coil pack out. The coil pack simply slides over the spark plug like a spark plug wire. The bad one should have the outer insulation torn exposing the internals of the coil pack telling you which one is bad. If not, simply use the one new coil pack and replace just one and try and start the car. It'll run right when you've replaced the right one but everyone I've seen you could tell which one was bad.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember which engine codes and models they were but, I think later models didn't even have allen bolts holding the coil packs in so once you remove the engine cover and unplug the connector you can just pull it out. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure a 2002 Golf/Jetta model won't have the allen bolts.

Feel free to drop me a PM and I'll give you my cell number if you want and you can call me when you're getting ready to try it and I'll walk you through it. Definitely check out the vwvortex forums, too, as you'll find illustrated walk throughs for the procedure as it's a chronic problem that many have dealt with on the 1.8Ts. That place is an excellent resource for information. Good luck.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. And thanks to the rest of you guys as well.

There will be 4 coil packs, which are essentially new style spark plug wires.

My first thought yesterday before I even researched it was spark plugs. So I did try to check them. But I couldn't find anything that looked like plug wires, I guess thats why. I'm pretty sure what your describing though is what I saw so at least I know it will be easy to get to.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. And thanks to the rest of you guys as well.

No problem, man. Let us know how it goes. :cheers:

My first thought yesterday before I even researched it was spark plugs. So I did try to check them. But I couldn't find anything that looked like plug wires, I guess thats why. I'm pretty sure what your describing though is what I saw so at least I know it will be easy to get to.

Yeah, you can't miss them, they're directly on the top of the engine under the plastic cover. The spark plugs themselves are about 6-8 inches down in the head.

Well fellas, I appreciate all your help but switching out the coils didn't seem to work, which leaves me to believe it's the CAT.

None of the coil packs looked damaged in any way but I switched them all out one by one with the new pack and the car still rattled pretty significantly each time.

So unless one of you guys know of anything else I could try or something I possibly could have done wrong, it's probably time to ship it off to the dealer and open up the wallet.

Thanks again for all your help.

Archived