Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golfweek cover raises ire of PGA Tour commissioner

ccsl2

iheart - I think we're getting off on a tangent argument that isn't really necessary. Especially considering that fact that we're basically trying to quantify two horrible parts of history that probably deserve a little more decorum. Both the gas chamber and noose being used to serve justice or as means of mass murder are reprehensible in my eyes - no matter the number killed.

Point is - the cover was in horrible taste and shouldn't have been printed. It was obviously a hackish attempt to shock people into buying mags.

I'm from the oldskool, if his dad's black, he's black. :D But people would care about what one of the most powerful men in sports has to say on these types of issues.

EDIT: As with OJ and Micheal Jackson, if Tiger or Micheal Jordan were to ever get into some serious legal problems, you'll see how fast they embrace the black community then.

:notworthy

rince,

I'm not sure how you're determining what's "necessary" and what's not, but, the point was made that the following analogy was accurate: noose is to racism as gas chamber is to anti-Semitism. I don't think that's right.

If a comment were made to a black person about "stringing them up from a tree" that'd be "just as offensive" (if that even works in this context) as a comment made to a Jew (or gypsy) about "throwing them in the gas chamber".

But, as symbols, I just don't view the noose as analagous to the gas chamber for the reasons set forth above. You disagree and I set forth why I believe my position is correct (and you did the same for your position).

I don't doubt that what's influencing sith lord, yours and my own views has to do with who we are as people, but I still maintain that even when viewed by one who was as detached as possible from both symbols, that the symbols are not analagous when viewed in the context of their use in history.

Finally, I note that our dialogue directly and indirectly addresses the exact issues posed by the OP.

I'm not sure how you're determining what's "necessary" and what's not, but, the point was made that the following analogy was accurate: noose is to racism as gas chamber is to anti-Semitism. I don't think that's right.

If a comment were made to a black person about "stringing them up from a tree" that'd be "just as offensive" (if that even works in this context) as a comment made to a Jew (or gypsy) about "throwing them in the gas chamber".

But, as symbols, I just don't view the noose as analagous to the gas chamber for the reasons set forth above. You disagree and I set forth why I believe my position is correct (and you did the same for your position).

I don't doubt that what's influencing sith lord, yours and my own views has to do with who we are as people, but I still maintain that even when viewed by one who was as detached as possible from both symbols, that the symbols are not analagous when viewed in the contex of their use in history.

Umm.... I am detached from both symbols, and I see his point. I think it may be because its harder to use the gas chamber as a visual symbol, so the noose has been more in our face for years. Even so, I think the more accurate analogy would have been comparing the noose to the swastika.

Edit: furthermore, I don't think sheer numbers makes one more offensive than the other. Especially considering the one that killed less was used by Americans on Americans - so its kind of a double whammy.

Archived