Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Joey T and Doug Williams

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Joey T and Doug Williams

First of all, just wanted to get this out of the way. Jim Schwartz was the first of what will likely be at least 3-4 interviews, some to take place next week, and people in this building are convinced Gregg Williams will be a big part of the process. He'll probably interview near the end, once team source suggested, and the strong support for him among the coaches and players will definitely merit heavy consideration.

Okay, on to the QBs. Spent some time with Joey T and Doug Williams yesterday, both Super Bowl winning passers under Coach Joe 1.0.

There was a crazy rumor going around yesterday about Theismann having a big say in the hiring of the next calls and that he was a huge Jim Schwartz guy. Actually got calls from two good contacts from other NFL teams passing it along for what it was worth. Didn't pass the smell test with me, so I sat on it and sniffed around and, who should walk through the door but Joey T himself.

It was raining and he was on his cell so he invited into his truck to get out of the rain and chat there. We spent about 15 minutes yesterday afternoon talking about some things and it was very clear that the rumor going around the league yesterday was woefully untrue.

Was going to call his cell; this was even better. Joe is around here a lot at The Park, working out and, yes, he does hand with Dan Snyder and they talk things over. But he is in no way a formal part of this process. He's had conceptual talks about things like considering the identity of the franchise, "where you're going, what personality you want to lead you," Theismann said.

As we were speaking in the truck, I asked Joe about how he thought Jim Schwartz's interview was going ... and there was a little pause. This was the first Joe had heard that Schwartz was actually in town. He has no ties to Schwartz but does think he is head coach material for what that's worth. He also voiced strong support for Gregg and believes guys like Jim Caldwell are ready to make the jump, too. Hiring Jason Garrett, a Cowboy for life, would be a bad idea, Joe believes, but other than that he was open to most of the names floating around.

He is not a formal consultant in any way, but he is someone who speaks to Dan frequently, much like Sonny J would. That's the extent of it.

Also figured I'd check in with Doug Williams, who is a personnel executive with Tampa Bay. Some people out there still are not convinced it seems that the Redskins are not hiring a GM or exec even after Dan Snyder says as much. Well, no one in the NFL has heard of any personnel people contacted by the team. Doug said there were no calls asking for permission to speak to him and that his organization pretty much figured there was one prime candidate for the coaching job.

"Gregg Williams's going to take over for Coach, right?," Williams said, pretty matter-of-factly.

I told him it may not be such a fait accompli, but that it's hard to imagine them not giving him serious consideration. Doug said he was slightly caught off guard by Gibbs's retirement, but not nearly as much as when he first hung up the coaching whistle (okay, so I never actually saw a whistle around Joe's neck in four years here, but you get the idea).

"I can't say it totally surprised me, not really," Williams said. "It's been a roller coaster season for him. You're time is very, very important as far as your family is concerned and I think Joe realized he was missing things at home and it was time to move on. I know it didn't end the way he wanted it to, but I think he left that team in pretty good shape. For all the injuries and losing Sean Taylor, they put together a great run and Joe went out with a good season. "

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Well, he's coached Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Brian Griese and Phil Simms so...no.

Yea, but coaching them and building them is two seperate things.

Also, for the guy who said, he did well in HS and College. So did Spurrier and his college experience was not a Div 1A college. Just because he won us a SB, doesn't mean he is a good QB coach.

Archived