Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The COACHNG CHANGES that changed the 'Skins season ...

PierceType

IMHO, these are the COACHING CHANGES that turned our season around for us:

1. Stacking the box to pressure the QB on defense, removing the quick crossing patterns and stuffing the run.

2. Letting our corners cover one-on-one. Now if a catch is made, they get hit immediately. Before, if they split the zone they would catch and run forever (Dallas game).

3. Actually throwing to our receivers across the middle of the field (we now do this regularly whereas when we were losing we basically NEVER did - this is New England's FAVORITE PLAY).

4. Throwing on first down (and sometimes deep). The makes the safeties drop back into coverage and opens up the run game.

5. Going for the kill in the 4th quarter instead of sitting on leads and hoping the defense can save us.

6. Trusting Todd Collins to mentally manage the game. They coached "scared" with JC. They coach "bold" with TC.

During our last two games, I have literally been SURPRISED by a play call (the 4th quarter bomb to seal the deal last week, for instance). For most of the year, I could pretty much guess 80-90% of the time what the skins would call and I would be right.

We always had the personnel to play this well, the COACHES just finally got a clue.

IMO It has NOTHING to do with coaching, and I can't get over "clueless" most fans are.

The players are now executing and that's the difference.

May I also mention that we now have "healthy" players to cover "one on one" as you add.

Do you not watch the injury report, or listen to the words that are coming out of their mouths?

Archived