Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins debate (week 18)

themurf

Redskins beat writer Ryan O'Halloran and Channel 4's Lindsay Czarniak look back at the win over Dallas, ahead to the game against Seattle and the influx of young talent making an impact.

1. In 2005, the Redskins were 5-6 but reeled off five straight wins to make the playoffs. This year, they were 5-7 but won their final four games to make the playoffs. Which run to the postseason was more impressive?

Ryan: This year's run because of the circumstances. Joe Gibbs said Monday this team has more talent and that's probably true. In 2005, only one of the five teams during the streak reached the playoffs (Giants) and the Redskins didn't play all that great in wins over Arizona and Philadelphia. This year, they won at the Giants and at Minnesota. The offense is playing better down the stretch and while the defense isn't creating the amount of takeaways they did in December 2005, they are doing a better job against the run.

Lindsay: There is no question in my mind that this year is more impressive. It's not just because of the tragedy with Sean that this team has had to deal with and work around, but also the other storylines as in Todd Collins, shaking the dust off and guiding this team to four straight wins. I think Collins' run should restore faith in the fact that Al Saunders system can be as fruitful as touted. Collectively, this team is more impressive considering how all of a sudden, they've been forced to find an identity and it's a balanced offense. The defense doesn't have as many takeaways, but give me a break, with these younger guys stepping up, Reed Doughty, Chris Wilson, etc., to hold the Cowboys to one yard rushing and remain so consistent these past few weeks, my hats off to this group.

2. The Redskins have held four consecutive halftime leads, quite an accomplishment considering their troubles earlier on with the Giants, Philadelphia and Buffalo. What has been a couple of the factors that have contributed to the held leads?

Ryan: I asked Joe about that on Monday and he pointed to the players giving "special effort," which was an interesting answer. I think coaching has been the biggest factor. After losing so many halftime leads by being conservative, I believe Joe went to Al Saunders and Gregg Williams (or vice versa) and said to stay aggressive in the third quarter regardless of the score. That's why the Redskins were passing against Dallas up 20-3 early in the fourth quarter. That's why the Redskins were blitzing Minnesota up 32-14 late in the fourth quarter.

Lindsay: I think it's a matter of the offense finding more of an identity and thus, keeping the defense off the field to avoid getting tired. I think it's been a specific effort to stay aggressive but from the players' perspective, the thing I keep hearing them say is that they are now playing for each other and really gelling together without any room for guys trying to be superstars. I think that that approach has created stronger second half effort from the players.

Clickhere or here for the rest of the article.

Archived