Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins/Seahawks Stat Breakdowns

D-Day

Please feel free to using the following three posts as rebuttal to the Seahawks fans, as you can tell I have not been able to concentrate on work today.

After all the your division sucks - our division rocks talk. I thought it might be worthwhile to actually look at some team stats for the year. With 16 games under both teams belts I think it is a large enough sample size to actually use these stats and have some meaning. Please feel free to add some more to enlighten the discussion (If there is one). biggrin.gif

These stats are the teams rankings - Next too them is how the averages of the 16 opponents they faced this year. InterDivisional teams where counted twice. For an example of how I did this take the Skins Rushing Offense

Rushing Rankings = 12 (Our rushing offense finished 12th) - 14.33 (Our 16 opponents averaged a ranking of 14.13 against the run)

First lets go with the skins.

Our Offense vs Our Opponents Defenses Averages

Total Ranking = 15th - 14.88

PTS Per Game = 20.9 - 21.23

Passing Rankings = 14 - 16.44

Rushing Rankings = 12 - 14.13

Our Defense vs Our Opponents Offenses Averages

Total Ranking = 8th - 13.13

Pts Per Game = 19.4 - 23.13

Passing = 16th - 14.06

Rushing = 4 - 15.69

So on both the offense and defensive sides of the ball we faced slightly better then average teams and came out 15th ranked on offense and 8th ranked on D.

Seahawks

Offense vs Their Opponents Defenses Averages

Total Ranking = 9th - 17.5

PTS Per Game = 24.6 - 23.02

Passing Rankings = 8th - 20.69

Rushing Rankings = 20th - 16.25

Defense vs Their Opponents Offenses Averages

Total Ranking = 15th - 18.75

PTS Per Game = 18.2 - 20.04

Passing Rankings = 19th - 16.69

Rushing Rankings = 12th - 20.75

Although Seattle has a good offense, they put those numbers up against much lower ranked Defenses. Their Passing game was above average but they put those numbers up against teams that where nearly 4 slots lower then the the teams that we faced. Their rushing D was good but their opponents averaged 21st in the league in rushing for the year.

Judging by these stats I think we match up favorably with the Seahawks. I see our D against their offense as the key, as I think our Offense has a destinct edge over their defense.

Our offense has put up a 14th ranked passing attack against an average of the 17th ranked passing D while Seattle has put up the 19th ranked pass defense against the 17th ranked Passing attacks. Also a similar difference is present in the running game with us putting up the 12th ranked attack against an average of the 14th ranked rushing defense while Seattle has admirably put up the 12th ranked rushing defense but that is against an average of the 21st ranked rushing attacks.

Combine that with the rain and our Defensive stats against the run and their run production combined with how well Collins is throwing the ball, I like our chances here a lot.

Here is some more for the masses.

One area of concern for me is Seattles 45 sacks. With our improving but still battered Oline lets break down how we stack up pre game in this area.

Seattle has 45 Sacks this year for a ranking of 4th in the NFL.

Washington has given up 29 for a ranking of 13th in the NFL.

I was curious to see what kind of pass protection the SeaHawks were facing so....

Their 16 Opponents have given up a total of 600 sacks this year with an average of 37.5 sacks per team. This places them with a average ranking of 18.75. (Remember that the interdivisional teams count twice, since they played them twice).

The Seahawks average 2.81 sacks per game but their opponents on average give up 2.34 Sacks per Game.

The Redskins OL has given up a total of 29 sacks for an average of 1.81 sacks per game.

Skins Opponents have a total of 625 sacks this year with an average of 39 sacks per team. They defenses we have faced have averaged a 10.69 ranking with an average of 2.44 sacks per game.

So once again we have averaged 1.81 sacks allowed per game playing the top 10 sack teams a total of 10 times (4 are tied for number 9 so in actuality it is the top 12 sack teams).

Seattle has put up 2.81 sacks per game but that is against opponents who are averaging 2.34 sacks allowed per game.

While we have played a total of ten games against the top 12 sack producing teams, Seattle has played 8 games against the bottom 10 teams in pass protection. In those games they acquired 31 of their 45 Sacks. Conversely they did perform against the better teams as well, they did get 7 sacks in 5 games against the top 10 teams in pass protection (5 of those where in game against Arz and 2 against the Bengals who are both 9th and 2nd in pass protection respectively).

Oddly enough though since most of us agree our OL play has improved the last four games we have actually given up an average of 2 sacks per game.

Another aspect that could be interesting, I am hoping our OL can hold up but it appears that this is another area where Seattles weak schedule has helped to slightly inflate their stats.

Here is a breakdown of the Scheduling arguments

Combined records of teams played...

Seattle = 106 - 150 = 41.4 winning percentage

Washington - 142 - 114 = 55.5%

Not good for Seattle but..........

Like Teams games -

Washington =

Tampa Bay = L 13 - 19

Eagles = W 20 - 12

Eagles = L 25 - 33

Cardinals = W 21 - 19

Bears = W 24 - 16

3 -2

Seattle =

Tampa Bay = W 20 - 6

Cardinals = L 20 -23

Cardinals = W 42 -21

Eagles = W 28 - 24

Bears = W 30 - 23

4- 1

Teams at / over .500

Seattle

At .500 = 2 - 1

Over .500 = 1 - 2

3 - 3

Combined record of those teams you won against.

25 - 23 52.1%

Combined record of those teams you lost too.

20 - 12 62.5%

Washington

At . 500 = 3 - 1

Over .500 = 2 - 4

5 - 5

Combined record of those teams we won.

47 - 33 = 58.8%

Combined record of those teams we lost too.

60 - 20 = 75%

About the only thing I can take for sure from this is that the Skins have played a lot more playoff caliber opponents so we should be more up to the challenge. However the homefield advantage and health probably will offset that. This will be a slugfest with the hardest hitting/best coached/ and motivated team coming out on top. This game is not a gimme for EITHER team.

Nice thread and nice work. I'm far more lazy but I'll add Jeff Sagarin's rankings, which have us at 8th, playing the 2nd toughest schedule and the Seahawks at 15th, playing the 32nd toughest. Yes. The absolute easiest schedule in the entire league.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl07.htm

He also ranks the divisions. He has the NFC East as the best in the league, and yes, the NFC West as the worst. :)

Thanks for putting that all together. I sit here and think about how much of a better team I think we are too..because of all these stats and stuff. But obviously the reality of it all is who shows up on Saturday. Remember, we've never really been a good team when were a good team on paper!

With that said, my prediction:

Skins 52

Seattle 3

:laugh:

Archived