Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Too Soon

nmx8

Sean Taylor, Safety for the Washington Redskins passed away on Tuesday, November 27th, a day that I will never forget. I will never forget the SuperBowls that I got to see the Redskins play and win in my time. I will never forget every year that we have made the playoffs.

I will never, however, forget this day. Sean Taylor was taken from his friends, family and fans far too early and for no reason. Sean Taylor was on pace to become the greatest safety that the NFL has ever seen. Even more than that, Sean was on track to become one of the great father, team mate and overall man that the world has ever seen.

There are so many things that happened too soon in this situation.

Sean was taken from all of us far too soon. I'd say somewhere around 60 years too soon.

Sean's condition deteriorated too soon. We all only had one night of very troubled sleep, or I'm sure in the case of his actual family, no sleep at all. I for one was not at all prepared to wake up to the news of his death.

Sean's team mates, family, friends and even his fans were forced to concentrate on football again way too soon. For once in my entire Redskins-loving life, I truly did not care about a game that they played. It was just too soon. I couldn't watch a game where Sean wasn't flying around all over my screen knocking running backs and receivers all over the field.

Sean's fellow defensive players were not ready to line up 11 on Sunday. They proved it by lining up 10. This wasn't a stupid move and this wasn't unnecessarily sentimental. Trust me when I say that all 10 of them felt the 11th man lined up next to and behind them. Sean's place was just too huge and influential to easily fill that void.

My brain is leaking in thoughts of how we can fix our team far too soon. I am slowly but surely coming to terms with all of this but I wish our year could just end right now so that everyone can have the time to heal and reflect on what is truly important.

Sean Taylor's early departure has forced everyone to focus on what is truly important in this world and unfortunately the Redskins themselves are not immune to this.

Sometimes things happen that people need more than 5 days to recover from and this definitely qualifies.

Sean, we miss you more and more each day and every football game that we watch or attend is going to seem totally empty for a while. I can't even imagine how much worse it is for your friends and team mates to line up every week and look across the field, expecting to see #21...

It's hard to play the game with heart when your heart is entirely broken.

-The Butcher.

[[ Michael L. Nielsen -- blog.myspace.com/miketheunited ]]

(( We will always miss and remember you Sean Taylor [1983-2007] ))

Archived