Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Old ST Article from Rookie Year - Glad I read it

Cruising270

Ran across this article while googling Sean Taylor. Its an old article but it was refreshing and interesting reading a story from his rookie year in the NFL and figured I'd share it with you all. Lots of quotes from Sean Taylor regarding football starting with the first time he lined up in the safety position, to his life outside of football and some that provide explanations for the agent's he fired and missing the rookie symposium. It showed Taylor really hasn't changed that much as a person, many the positive traits and values were apparent even his rookie season. You can see why Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams purposely use the word "matured" over "changed" when paying tribute to Sean Taylor.

Safety Belt - Washington Post, 9/10/04

As slim as a noodle at age 14, Sean Michael Taylor wanted to play running back for the Florida City Razorbacks. But the coach of the Pop Warner team, with players restricted to 140 pounds or less, placed Taylor at third-string tailback.

Taylor's shiftiness and speed during his first day at Florida City Park didn't sway the coach. So Peter Taylor advised his son to switch to one of football's most unglamorous positions, safety, where coaches seldom place gifted athletes.

"Come over to [the secondary] and knock a few running backs out," Peter Taylor instructed his son. "And who knows? You might be playing back there in time."

At least, Taylor would be guaranteed playing time at safety by exploiting his athleticism. So he heeded his dad's suggestion.

"I wasn't into sitting on the bench, so I hurried up and got with the program at safety," Taylor, now 21, recalled this week at Redskins Park. "I started having a good time laying cats out, and before you know it I wasn't looking at running back anymore."

Taylor, at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, is anything but an ordinary safety, possessing an extraordinary blend of size, speed and strength. The University of Miami product enters his NFL rookie season with the Washington Redskins after being drafted fifth overall. He has recovered from an offseason that was replete with negative press, mostly for hiring and firing agents and skipping out early on a league-mandated rookie symposium, with a promising preseason. At free safety, Taylor displayed ball-hawking skills (three interceptions) and hitting ability (two forced fumbles) to bolster predictions that he is destined for stardom.

"He took to it real quick," Coach Joe Gibbs said of Taylor's performance. "He's got real good football intelligence. There's not many guys who make those kinds of plays that quick."

Toward the end of the preseason, however, Gregg Williams, Washington's assistant head coach-defense, said he hoped that Taylor would experience NFL lessons typical for rookies. Washington's defensive coaches weren't displeased that the Redskins' secondary struggled during a 28-3 loss against the speedy St. Louis Rams in the penultimate exhibition game Aug. 27.

"He's nowhere near reaching his potential," safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "He hasn't had to reach down to make things happen. But that time will come."

Taylor is far from grasping the nuances of playing safety in the NFL. Coaches say that as defensive quarterback and the last line of the defense, Taylor must learn to recognize plays more rapidly instead of mainly relying on his physical talents. His coaches have couched their words when talking about Taylor's study habits.

The safety is candid about not extensively watching film. "Honestly, I'm not a person that's going to study film for hours and hours," Taylor said. "I feel there's a time to study but you don't have to overwork your mind. What I do is I take what I know and use it, and I build off that."

Not Arrogant

Taylor occasionally seems aloof to people who don't know him. He maintains a palpable distance toward strangers. But he is sometimes full of charm and outgoing among relatives, friends and teammates. Overall, Taylor is a private, quiet person with a self-effacing personality. "He's the type of person who lets his actions speak," said his father, the police chief of Florida City.

Taylor's personality is especially striking in contrast to Miami players known for their brashness. The group includes Taylor's buddies: Cleveland Browns rookie tight end Kellen Winslow, drafted one slot after Taylor; Baltimore Ravens Pro Bowl linebacker Ray Lewis; and Redskins star tailback Clinton Portis.

"He's not like the average Miami guy; he's not arrogant," said Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot, who has befriended Taylor. "You meet a lot of the Miami guys and they're arrogant. He's totally different from Kellen Winslow."

continued...

Archived